Eagles hold off late Thunder surge as Stockton can't complete two-game sweep
STOCKTON, Calif. - Goaltender Adam Brown made 40 saves on 41 shots, holding off a furious rally from the Stockton Thunder (14-7-5, 33 points) to secure a 2-1 win for the Colorado Eagles in front of 5,291 fans at Stockton Arena on Saturday.
The Thunder, who missed their two leading scorers (Harrison Reed and Toni Rajala) due to injuries, avoided a home shutout for the first time since falling to Ontario 4-0 on Dec. 2, 2011. Center Eric Hunter notched the lone Thunder goal late in the third period.
"They came out and played," said Thunder head coach Matt Thomas. "I can give a lot of credit to that team. Their whole team played well. They just outplayed us."
Goaltender Tyler Bunz (8-6-3) recorded 31 stops for the Thunder.
"Their goalie played a great game," Hunter said. "But, at the same time, we had some great chances if we go back and look at it. You have to put those away. There were chances with puck rebounds and the goalie sliding across. Yeah, he's got to make the save, but we have to put it upon ourselves to execute."
At the end of a very physical first period, Colorado took advantage of a penalty when Chad Costello sent the puck across the face of goal to Trent Daavettila, who set it by Bunz to put the Thunder down 1-0 18:20 into the opening frame.
A scoreless second period gave way to a quick goal in the third, as Jack Combs slipped a shot in through traffic on a power play, doubling Colorado's lead to 2-0 just 33 seconds into the final frame.
The Thunder escaped the team's first shutout loss since a 1-0 defeat at Idaho on Jan. 25 with a goal just 1:39 before the final horn. With Bunz pulled for an extra attacker, forward Yannick Riendeau found Hunter in front of goal. Hunter snuck the puck through Brown's legs, cutting the lead to 2-1.
"Maybe we let them off the hook a little bit," said Hunter. "But, at the same time, give them credit for a great game."
Up next, the Thunder will take part in a highly anticipated game of the regular season against the San Francisco Bulls at HP Pavilion at San Jose, home of the NHL's San Jose Sharks. The puck will drop on Monday, Dec. 17 at 7:30 p.m. (1280 AM KWSX/StocktonThunder.com).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 15, 2012
- Eagles hold off late Thunder surge as Stockton can't complete two-game sweep - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Get 2-1 Shootout Win over Grizzlies - Alaska Aces
- Reign Leave Steelheads Gasping for Air in 6-2 Win - Ontario Reign
- Short-Benched Eagles Power Past Stockton, 2-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Alaska Collects Second Point with 2-1 Shootout WIn - Utah Grizzlies
- Idaho Falls in Penalty-Fest - Idaho Steelheads
- Kalamazoo Loses After Two Late Goals by Florida on Teddy Bear Toss Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Nailers Shoot Past Komets, 3-2 in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Titans Stunned by Two Late Goals; Fall to Elmira in OT, 5-4 - Trenton Titans
- Solar Bears Come up Just Short in 5-3 Loss to Reading - Orlando Solar Bears
- Elmira earns overtime win - Elmira Jackals
- Stingrays Fall in Overtime to Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
- Pierro-Zabotel Nets OT Winner, Glads Prevail 3-2 - Atlanta Gladiators
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspensions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Colorado Eagles - Stockton Thunder
- Bulls Finish Two-Game Road Trip in Bakersfield - San Francisco Bulls
- Defenseman Brett Flemming Reassigned to Reading - Reading Royals
- ECHL Transactions - December 15 - ECHL
- Condors vs. San Francisco - USA Silver Medalists Kessy & Ross in the house - Bakersfield Condors
- Titans GameDay vs. Elmira, Game 24 - Trenton Titans
- Countdown to Face-Off: Kalamazoo Wings vs Florida Everblades - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Reading Royals Tonight - December 15 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - December 15 - ECHL
- Grizzlies Assigned Three Forwards - Utah Grizzlies
- Toys for Tots Tonight vs. Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
- Condors Start Strong, Can't Hold Back Idaho - Bakersfield Condors
- Bulls Reigned in by Ontario, 7-0 - San Francisco Bulls
- Reign Gore Bulls in 7-0 Win - Ontario Reign
- Reed, Reichard, Riendeau roll as Thunder trounces Eagles at home - Stockton Thunder
- Short-Benched Eagles Struggle in Stockton - Colorado Eagles
- Idaho Overcomes Sluggish Start to Beat Bakersfield - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Thunder Stories
- Final Weather Report: All the News and Notes from the Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Announce End of the Year Equipment Sale
- Thunder Win Final ECHL Game in front of Sold Out Crowd
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m.
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls