'Dogs Take Series from Houston
LINCOLN, Nebraska - Curt Smith broke a tie with his two-run homer in the 5th, and the Lincoln Saltdogs beat the Houston Apollos 4-2 at Haymarket Park on Thursday.
Smith's shot broke a 1-1 and was the 89th homer in his Saltdogs career - now just one shy of tying Bryan Warner's franchise record of 90. It was his third homer of the year and first since May 27th.
Forrestt Allday walked twice and singled, and the 'Dogs (10-10) won their fourth series of the year.
Carter Hope tossed two scoreless innings with four strikeouts to earn his second win of the year, and James Pugliese finished off his sixth save in the 9th inning.
Edgar Corcino went 2-for-4 with his third homer of the year - a solo shot on the first pitch of the 6th inning - to stretch the lead to three.
Ryan Long walked and scored, while Justin Byrd worked his 19th walk of the year out of the leadoff spot.
Lincoln starter Carson Lance allowed one run on two hits over 4.1 innings, and the 'Dogs allowed just three Houston (4-17) hits - a season low.
The 'Dogs took two of three from the Apollos and now get ready for a three-game series against Kane County over the weekend. First pitch of Friday's game is scheduled for 7:05 p.m., and pregame coverage will begin at 6:35 on ESPN Lincoln 101.5 FM/1480 AM.
The Saltdogs are celebrating their 20th season at Haymarket Park this season! All ticket and promotional information can be viewed at saltdogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 10, 2021
- RailCats Drop Series Finale to Monarchs - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Nehrir Matches League Record with Six Hits as Cleburne Sweeps - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes' Thompson Headed to Cardinals - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- 'Dogs Take Series from Houston - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Goldeyes Take Both Games of Double Header - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Baker Headed to Cincinnati Organization - Kansas City Monarchs
- RedHawks Pitchers One-Hit Milwaukee in Series Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Name Selected for Lake Country Baseball Team - Lake Country DockHounds
- McGovern's Contract Transferred to the St. Louis Cardinals Organization - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Goldeyes Sign Canadian Right-Hander - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Milkmen Win Streak Extended to Six Games - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Canaries Rally Falls Just Short vs. Railroaders - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Dogs Take Series from X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Bird Cage Special; Railroaders Scrap Past Canaries to Clinch Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Milkmen Sour RedHawks at Home with 5-0 Win - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.