RailCats Drop Series Finale to Monarchs
GARY, Ind. - In the series finale, the Gary SouthShore RailCats (11-11) fell to the Kansas City Monarchs (10-10) in a 6-1 final at the Steel Yard in Gary, Indiana.
The win went to Justin Shafer who delivered five innings of three hit baseball, allowing one run with eight strikeouts and four walks. Three Monarchs recorded shutout performances in relief, highlighted by two no-hit innings from Cody Mincey.
Gregori Vasquez suffered the loss after 5.1 innings on the mound with eight hits and five runs, three of which were earned. Vasquez recorded a season-high eight strikeouts in his fourth start of the year.
Despite Michael Woodworth reaching safely on all four plate appearances with a 2-for-2 line in his first start of the season, the rest of the RailCats offense had a calmed day at the dish.
Jesus Marriaga ripped his first extra-base hit of the year with a triple in the right-center gap, and MJ Rookard notched a double in the effort, but the four hits were the only recorded on the day by the RailCats.
Eight of the nine starters for Kansas City recorded a hit while Gabriel Guerrero and Ryan Grotjohn each posted multi-hit performances. Guerrero had a moonshot blast 400 feet to straight away center to cap things off in the top of the ninth and make it a 6-1 game.
RailCats' Manager Greg Tagert was ejected in the fifth for the first time this season after arguing a close call on a check swing with the third base umpire.
The series opener between the Gary SouthShore RailCats and Sioux City Explorers is scheduled for tomorrow, June 11 at 7:10 p.m. at the Steel Yard in Gary, Indiana.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 10, 2021
- RailCats Drop Series Finale to Monarchs - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Nehrir Matches League Record with Six Hits as Cleburne Sweeps - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes' Thompson Headed to Cardinals - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- 'Dogs Take Series from Houston - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Goldeyes Take Both Games of Double Header - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Baker Headed to Cincinnati Organization - Kansas City Monarchs
- RedHawks Pitchers One-Hit Milwaukee in Series Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Name Selected for Lake Country Baseball Team - Lake Country DockHounds
- McGovern's Contract Transferred to the St. Louis Cardinals Organization - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Goldeyes Sign Canadian Right-Hander - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Milkmen Win Streak Extended to Six Games - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Canaries Rally Falls Just Short vs. Railroaders - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Dogs Take Series from X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Bird Cage Special; Railroaders Scrap Past Canaries to Clinch Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Milkmen Sour RedHawks at Home with 5-0 Win - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.