Goldeyes Take Both Games of Double Header
JACKSON, TN - The Winnipeg Goldeyes (7-12) won both games of a double header against the Kane County Cougars at The Ballpark at Jackson on Thursday night, winning the opener 11-6 and the nightcap 5-0.
In the opener, Tyler Hill led off the bottom of the first with a single through the left side and took third when Darren Seferina doubled into the right field corner. Two batters later, Max Murphy was intentionally walked to load the bases with one out. Raul Navarro then doubled down the left field line to score Hill and Seferina to give the Goldeyes a 2-0 lead.
Seferina and Kyle Martin drew back-to-back walks to open the bottom of the third. After Cougars' starter Josh Tols retired the next two hitters, Logan Hill singled through the left side to plate Seferina. Kevin Lachance followed with a three-run home run down the left field line to stretch the lead to 6-0.
After Tyler Hill drew a one-out walk in the bottom of the fourth, Seferina crushed a two-run home run to right-centre that made it 8-0.
The Cougars climbed back into the game with a five-run top of the fifth. Anfernee Seymour drew a bases loaded walk with no outs. Two batters later, Jeffrey Baez launched a grand slam home run to left.
Winnipeg re-extended the lead in the bottom of the fifth. With two outs and no one on base, Wes Darvill poked a single down the left field line, stole second, and scored on a line drive single to right-centre from Austin Rei. Murphy smacked an opposite-field, two-run homer to right in the bottom of the sixth.
Kane County (9-11) pushed across a two-out run in the top of the seventh on a Kacy Clemens RBI single.
Ken Frosch (2-2) was credited with the win in relief for Winnipeg while Tols (1-1) took the loss. Tols allowed eight earned runs on seven hits in four innings. Tols walked four and struck out three.
Jorge Gonzalez started for the Goldeyes and took a no-decision, allowing four earned runs on three hits in four-plus innings. Gonzalez walked four and struck out four.
Daniel Kubiuk worked one and one-third scoreless innings in relief. Seferina finished the game with four runs scored.
In the nightcap, the Goldeyes took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first on a two-run home run to right from Martin.
Seferina singled through the left side with one out in the bottom of the third and scored two batters later when Murphy doubled off the wall in left-centre.
Tyler Hill led off the bottom of the fifth with a solo home run to left, and the Goldeyes stretched the lead to 5-0 later in the frame when Navarro singled home Martin.
Eduard Reyes (2-2) started for the Goldeyes and picked up the win, pitching five shutout innings on five hits. Reyes walked two and struck out two.
Cougars' starter Max Steffens (0-1) took a complete game loss in his second professional start, allowing five earned runs on 10 hits over six innings. Steffens walked one and struck out five.
Kyle Thomas finished the game for Winnipeg with two shutout relief innings.
The Goldeyes open a three-game series against the Sioux Falls Canaries at The Ballpark at Jackson on Friday evening at 6:35 p.m. All the action can be heard locally on CJNU 93.7 FM and worldwide at www.cjnu.ca
The Goldeyes will continue to monitor the reopening of the Canada/US border and assess a potential return to Shaw Park in 2021.
In the coming weeks, Winnipeg Goldeyes staff will contact ticket holders with more information and appreciate everyone's patience and understanding.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 10, 2021
- RailCats Drop Series Finale to Monarchs - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Nehrir Matches League Record with Six Hits as Cleburne Sweeps - Cleburne Railroaders
- Goldeyes' Thompson Headed to Cardinals - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- 'Dogs Take Series from Houston - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Goldeyes Take Both Games of Double Header - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Baker Headed to Cincinnati Organization - Kansas City Monarchs
- RedHawks Pitchers One-Hit Milwaukee in Series Finale - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Name Selected for Lake Country Baseball Team - Lake Country DockHounds
- McGovern's Contract Transferred to the St. Louis Cardinals Organization - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Goldeyes Sign Canadian Right-Hander - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Milkmen Win Streak Extended to Six Games - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Canaries Rally Falls Just Short vs. Railroaders - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Dogs Take Series from X's - Sioux City Explorers
- Bird Cage Special; Railroaders Scrap Past Canaries to Clinch Series - Cleburne Railroaders
- Milkmen Sour RedHawks at Home with 5-0 Win - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.