'Dogs Late Rally Not Enough in Gary
GARY, Indiana - Josh Norwood allowed one unearned run over four innings in his first professional start, but the 'Dogs 9th-inning rally fell short in a 3-1 loss to the Gary SouthShore RailCats at U.S. Steel Yard on Sunday night.
Norwood's only run allowed came in the 4th inning after Andy De Jesus singled in Tommy McCarthy - who'd walked and reached second on an errant pickoff attempt.
Shairon Martis, originally scheduled to start, pitched three innings of relief and allowed one run - a 7th-inning double from Randy Santiesteban to score Colin Willis.
Jake Hohensee pitched the 8th and allowed an RBI single to De Jesus that made it 3-0.
The 'Dogs tried to rally in the 9th, facing Sandy Lugo for the second straight night. Ivan Marin led off with a walk and reached second on Forrestt Allday's groundout. Marin then scored when Ibarra singled to left, and Lincoln broke a 17-inning scoreless drought.
After Nick Schulz struck out, Josh Mazzola walked before Randolph Oduber's strikeout ended the game.
Allday singled with one out in the 4th - representing Lincoln's first baserunner of the game. Gary SouthShore starter Trevor Lubking allowed just two hits over six scoreless innings in his league-leading 24th start of the year.
The 'Dogs conclude the 2019 season in the finale on Monday. First-pitch time is scheduled for 1:10 p.m., and pregame coverage will begin at 12:40 p.m. on ESPN Lincoln 101.5 FM/1480 AM.
The Saltdogs are playing their 19th season in Lincoln. All ticket and promo information can be found at saltdogs.com, and follow the 'Dogs on Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 1, 2019
- Saints Figure out Impact Field Puzzle, Win 4-2, Can Clinch North Division with Win in Final Game on Monday - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Fall To Saints On Barnum's Historic Night - Chicago Dogs
- 'Dogs Late Rally Not Enough in Gary - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Chicago Dogs Slugger Keon Barnum Breaks League Home Run Record - Chicago Dogs
- Deja Vu All over Again as RedHawks Win 4-3 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Milkmen Tally One Run, Not Enough against AirHogs - Milwaukee Milkmen
- Canaries Edge Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Birds Snap Skid with Tight Win at Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Cleburne Drops One-Run Affair in Fargo - Cleburne Railroaders
- Snelten Garners Pitcher of the Month Honor - Chicago Dogs
- RedHawks' Correll Prime Named AA Pointstreak Player of the Month for August - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- T-Bones Walk It off to a First Place Standing - Kansas City T-Bones
- X's Fall in Extra Inning Walk Off, Fall to Wild Card - Sioux City Explorers
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.