Dogs Can't Withstand Goldeyes' Rally, Fall In Winnipeg
WINNIPEG, MB, CANADA - Keon Barnum launched his league-leading ninth home run, but the Chicago Dogs could not overcome nine unanswered runs by the home team as they fell to the Winnipeg Goldeyes, 10-3, on Tuesday night at Shaw Park.
Dogs starter Jake Dahlberg (L, 2-1) was effective for the first five innings before running into trouble in the sixth. The UIC grad finished with six runs (five earned) allowed on seven hits with one strikeout over five-plus innings of work.
The Goldeyes got on the board in the bottom of the first via an RBI groundout by Willy Garcia. The Winnipeg lead would not last long, as Barnum demolished the first pitch he saw over the right field fence to tie the game at one in the top of the second.
The Dogs took the lead in the top of the third off the bat of Kelly Dugan. After Rey Gonzalez and Trey Vavra reached, Dugan drilled a single to bring them both home and give Chicago the 3-1 lead.
Winnipeg rallied to tie the game in the bottom of the frame. An RBI double by Dominic Ficociello cut the Dogs' lead to one before a run-scoring double on the next at-bat by Reggie Abercrombie knotted the game at three.
The Goldeyes broke the game open with a four-run sixth inning. With the bases loaded and one out, Casey Crosby surrendered a walk and a passed ball to make it 5-3 Winnipeg. Two batters later, Josh Romanski drew another bases-loaded walk to push the Goldeyes' lead to three.
Ben Allison entered the frame and allowed a sacrifice fly to give Winnipeg the 7-3 lead.
The Goldeyes tacked on three more runs in the eighth inning to complete its offensive onslaught.
D.J. Snelten (3-0) will start game two for Chicago on Wednesday night. First pitch is set for 7:00 PM.
Fans can tune in to The Chicago Dogs Baseball Network for a live broadcast of every Dogs game, with team broadcasters Sam Brief and Henrique DaMour on the call. Follow the team on social media - @TheChicagoDogs on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat - and use the hashtag #TakeABite. For more information, visit TheChicagoDogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 18, 2019
- Goldeyes Top Dogs in Series-Opener - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Prime's 3-Run Homer Downs Gary, 3-0, in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Prime's 3-Run Homer Downs Gary, 3-0, in Series Opener - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Blank Cleburne - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Can't Withstand Goldeyes' Rally, Fall In Winnipeg - Chicago Dogs
- Watery Days Wash T-Bones Away...Again - Kansas City T-Bones
- Explorers and T-Bones Postponed Due to Rain - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Return Home for a Week of Fun Well Done - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Dogs Fall to Late Milwaukee Rally - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Goldeyes Supporting Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters Scholarship Fund - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Find Their Final Sidekick on the Mound, Sign UW-La Crosse's McMahon - St. Paul Saints
- Birdcage Turns into Bandbox, Saints Tie Franchise Record with Six Homers, Murphy Career High Seven RBI in 20-11 Win over Canaries - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.