AirHogs Blank Cleburne
CLEBURNE, Texas - The combination of Gan Quan, Tyler Matzek and Liu Guoqing combined to shut out the Cleburne Railroaders, as the Texas AirHogs opened the series with a 2-0 win on Tuesday night at The Depot.
The game's only scoring came in the top of the seventh, when Jonathan Moroney led off with a double against Charlie Gillies (1-3). Chen Junpeng followed with a grounder to the right side that snuck under the glove of Daniel Robertson for an error, allowing Maroney to score. Luan Chenchen delivered a two-out, run-scoring single later in the inning to double the Texas lead.
Gillies was excellent despite taking the loss, allowing just the two unearned runs over seven innings. He struck out four and walked one, surrendering five hits. The Railroaders (13-18) threatened in several innings but never dented the scoreboard, stranding eight on the evening. The best scoring opportunity came in the bottom of the eighth when Zach Nehrir doubled and Chase Simpson singled, but Jonathan Rodriguez rolled into a 6-4-3 double play and John Nester bounced out to shortstop to end the threat.
Guoqing closed out the game's final two innings to record his second save. Matzek (1-0) picked up the win with a scoreless sixth and seventh innings.
The Railroaders and AirHogs continue their series on Tuesday night at 7:06. Jesus Sanchez (3-2, 3.89) gets the ball for Cleburne, while Texas counters with right-hander Travis Ballew (1-3, 2.66).
For information on partnerships, season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Railroaders main office at (817) 945-8705, or visit the Railroaders official website at www.railroaderbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from June 18, 2019
- Goldeyes Top Dogs in Series-Opener - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Prime's 3-Run Homer Downs Gary, 3-0, in Series Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Prime's 3-Run Homer Downs Gary, 3-0, in Series Opener - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- AirHogs Blank Cleburne - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Can't Withstand Goldeyes' Rally, Fall In Winnipeg - Chicago Dogs
- Watery Days Wash T-Bones Away...Again - Kansas City T-Bones
- Explorers and T-Bones Postponed Due to Rain - Sioux City Explorers
- T-Bones Return Home for a Week of Fun Well Done - Kansas City T-Bones
- 'Dogs Fall to Late Milwaukee Rally - Lincoln Saltdogs
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Goldeyes Supporting Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters Scholarship Fund - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Find Their Final Sidekick on the Mound, Sign UW-La Crosse's McMahon - St. Paul Saints
- Birdcage Turns into Bandbox, Saints Tie Franchise Record with Six Homers, Murphy Career High Seven RBI in 20-11 Win over Canaries - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.