Dock Spiders Fall in Close Game to Loggers
LA CROSSE, WI - The Dock Spiders suffered their first loss of the season after dropping a back-and-forth battle against the La Crosse Loggers, 7-6 on Friday night.
The Loggers (3-0) got to left-handed Dock Spiders pitcher Jake Saum early, and batted through the first seven spots of their order in the first inning. La Crosse plated a run to take the lead right away, 1-0.
The Dock Spiders (1-1) would respond right away in the top of the second when Justin Bench lined a single into center field that scored John Rhodes from second base to tie the game at one.
Jack Alexander would reach on a walk that put runners on first and second for the Dock Spiders.
Taylor Jackson then stepped in and roped a line drive into center field. Bench would slide safely into home after the throw to the plate bounced to the backstop. The Loggers tried to catch Alexander at third, but a throw that went wide of the bag allowed the Dock Spiders catcher to come home and give Fond du Lac a 3-1 lead.
La Crosse took the lead back in the bottom of the third inning when Trey Harris hit a grand slam to left field to put the Loggers back on top, 5-3.
It didn't take long for the Dock Spiders to answer back, as they nearly batted around the order in the top of the fifth. Jackson reached on a base hit, followed by a walk to Sam Novitske.
Parker Noland lined a shot into left that allowed Jackson to score and bring the Dock Spiders to within a run (5-4). Tim Elko reached on a walk which then brought up Tate Kolwyck. The Loggers attempted to spin a double play after Kolwyck chopped a grounder up the middle, but Kolwyck beat the throw to first which let Novitske advance and score. John Rhodes took the first pitch he saw to left field that plated Noland and put the Dock Spiders ahead 6-5.
Alex Vera came in to pitch for Fond du Lac in the fourth inning and tossed a gem, allowing only one hit in three innings of work to keep the Dock Spiders in the lead.
Both teams' bats stayed quiet for the next three innings up until the bottom of the eighth, when Jason Hodges led off the inning with a solo homerun to center to tie it at six apiece. Colin Burgess knocked a hit to reach first, and advanced to second after a fielder's choice. The Loggers took the lead after Luke Brown hit a line drive that got through Ryan Ritter and into left field. Burgess scored from second on the play and put the Loggers in front 7-6.
The Dock Spiders came close to tying it in the ninth after Noland reached on a walk, as well as pinch hitter Aaron Anderson, but the comeback fell just short as the Loggers held on to win 7-6.
Fond du Lac will look to split the two-game series on Saturday, Independence Day, at 6:05 pm.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 4, 2020
- Festival Foods and Green Bay Booyah 4th of July Festival Information - Green Bay Booyah
- MoonDogs Comeback Comes up Short in Waterloo on the Fourth - Mankato MoonDogs
- Flickertails Star in Sweep over Larks - Bismarck Larks
- Pit Spitters Complete Comeback - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rafters One-Hit Woodchucks, Remain Undefeated - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Willmar Explodes for 13 Runs against Rochester - Willmar Stingers
- Honkers on Wrong End of Fireworks, Drop Back End of Twin Bill - Rochester Honkers
- Chucks Break up No-Hitter in 9th, Fall to Rafters 9-0 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Growlers Return to the Win Column on Independence Day - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Honkers' Early Frenzy, Late Push Leads to First Win - Rochester Honkers
- Honkers Take Down Stingers to Start Doubleheader - Willmar Stingers
- Rox Sweep Honkers Behind Big Eighth Inning - St. Cloud Rox
- Home Opener Success: Harris Stars in Loggers 7-6 Comeback Win - La Crosse Loggers
- Rox' Late Rally Downs Honkers in Home Opener - Rochester Honkers
- Dock Spiders Fall in Close Game to Loggers - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Power Bats Electric in 12-6 Rafters Win - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Boom: Larks Win - Bismarck Larks
- Bombers Leave 9 on Base, Still Maintain Perfect Record - Battle Creek Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fond du Lac Dock Spiders Stories
- Dock Spiders Send off Bullock with 12-3 Rout of Rivets
- Dock Spiders Welcome New-Look Rivets to Fondy with 15-1 Win
- Spiders Sink Rafters in Commanding 13-0 Win
- If You Left Early, You Missed Out; Spiders Walk It off for Ninth Win in a Row
- Pitching Tosses 8-0 Shutout to Help Spiders to Eighth Consecutive Win