Dock Spiders Crawl over Mallards Offense to Grab the Victory
MADISON, Wis.- A pitchers duel broke out early at the Duck Pond. Despite a stellar performance by Madison Mallards (32-19) starter Lowell Schipper (Richmond), the Fond du Lac Dock Spiders (21-30) grasped a 5-0 victory after the Mallards offense failed to come alive.
The first six innings consisted of a pitcher's duel between Mallards starter Schipper and Dock Spiders starter Ryan Bader (Northwestern). Forty batters were retired between the two, with 15 batters retired consecutively between the top of the second and the top of the fourth innings.
Fond du Lac made their way onto the scoreboard first, after an RBI double by Tate Kolwyck (Vanderbilt) allowed the Dock Spiders to take a 1-0 lead in the top of the fourth. Schipper remained in control on the bump, until the Dock Spiders scored once again on an RBI single by Kolwyck, to take a 2-0 lead in the top of the sixth.
Schipper exited the mound after six and two-thirds innings pitched. He received a standing ovation from his home crowd on the way back to the dugout. During his time on the mound Schipper punched five strikeouts and allowed only one walk.
In the top of the seventh, the Dock Spiders continued to crawl even further ahead of the Mallards. A sacrifice fly from Aaron Anderson (Flagler) stretched Fond du Lac's lead to 3-0.
The top of the eighth was a repeat of the sixth and seventh innings for the Dock Spiders. Another RBI single, this time by Kellen Sarver (Illinois), extended Fond du Lac's lead to 4-0.
Bader made his way to the Dock Spiders dugout after pitching through eight solid innings. His arm was unstoppable on the mound, throwing eight strikeouts and not allowing any walks.
Anderson contributed to the scoring of another run after slamming the ball to right field for an RBI double to give the Dock Spiders another insurance run in the top of the ninth.
Unfortunately, the offense was not there for the Mallards, as Madison was defeated 5-0 to earn their 19th loss of the season.
Schipper added the loss to his record after allowing the Dock Spiders to score and continue to keep the lead.
Bader notched the victory after throwing eight innings, preventing the Mallards from scoring during his time on the bump.
- Schipper earned Impact Player of the Night for his contribution on the mound. He threw over six innings, recording five strikeouts and one walk.
The first, second and third innings were solid for the Dock Spiders starter. Bader retired nine consecutive batters to help Fond du Lock prevent the Mallards offense from scoring.
The Mallards will travel to Herr Baker field to finish the series against the Dock Spiders. After the conclusion of the series, the Mallards will continue on the road to Mequon, Wisconsin, to compete in a two-game series against the Lakeshore Chinooks (22-28). Hear every pitch of the 2019 Mallards' season live on The Zone, 96.7 FM and 1670 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 20, 2019
- KZoo Unable to Get Offense Going in Loss at Kenosha - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Kingfish Top Growlers - Kenosha Kingfish
- Chinooks Top Green Bay - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Larks Heating up During Dog Days of Summer - Bismarck Larks
- Bombers Comeback Falls Just Short in Kokomo - Battle Creek Bombers
- St. Cloud Walks-Off against Duluth at the Rock Pile - St. Cloud Rox
- Four-Run Frames Lead Waterloo over La Crosse - Waterloo Bucks
- Booyah Lose in Fog Game - Green Bay Booyah
- Kohlhepp Throws A Game For The Ages - Thunder Bay Border Cats
- Stingers Fall to the Honkers in Extra Innings at Mayo Field - Willmar Stingers
- Dock Spiders Crawl over Mallards Offense to Grab the Victory - Madison Mallards
- St. Cloud Snaps Duluth's Win Streak in Extra Innings - Duluth Huskies
- Weather Moves Rafters Game to Sunday in Wausau - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Tickets Available for July 22 - Bismarck Larks
- Mallards Host Dock Spiders to Conclude Home Stand - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Split Season Series with Traverse City After Long Rain Delay - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Rox Drop Thriller to Bismarck in Series Finale - St. Cloud Rox
- Dock Spiders End Their Losing Streak - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Bucks Fall 18-4 in Mankato - Waterloo Bucks
- Booyah Win Streak Ends on Road - Green Bay Booyah
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.