Devils Lose to Thunderbirds 3-2
BINGHAMTON - The Binghamton Devils dropped their fourth game in a row Friday night, falling 3-2 to the Springfield Thunderbirds inside the Floyd L. Maines Veterans Arena.
Binghamton opened the scoring with 4:08 remaining in the first period after a wild sequence of events. With the Thunderbirds buzzing in the Devils zone, Evan Cormier made a few big saves, including a diving stop on the goal line. Following a scramble in the crease, Ryan Schmelzer collected the puck and sent it up ice to Nikita Popugaev, who then hit Eric Tangradi with a pass in stride. Tangradi entered the Springfield zone and fired a wrist shot from the circle, beating Chris Driedger for the 1-0 lead. Popugaev registered his first career point in the AHL on the play.
Springfield evened the score at one goal a-piece 9:22 into the middle frame. Jean-Sebastian Dea entered the Devils zone on a three-on-one opportunity and wristed the puck past Cormier.
The Devils didn't take long to regain their lead, scoring 1:38 later. John Edwardh took a backhanded swat at the puck from the circle, causing a knuckleball shot that eluded Driedger. Brett Seney and Brandon Gignac earned assists on the play. Binghamton would take a 2-1 lead into the final period of play.
After Binghamton looked as if it had taken a 3-1 lead with 12:08 to go in the third period, the referees waived off the goal due to a tripping penalty. On the ensuing power play, Thunderbirds forward Paul Thompson deflected in Anthony Greco's shot from the circle to tie the game.
With just 4:37 remaining in regulation, the Thunderbirds took their first lead of the evening. Sebastian Repo wired home a wrist shot off of a set play on the faceoff to give Springfield a 3-2 lead.
Despite mustering a handful of chances with the empty net, the Devils were unable to tie the game, dropping their fourth game in a row.
The Binghamton Devils return tomorrow night against the Rochester Americans for a Saturday 2-Pack and Faith & Family Night. Call or text "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Binghamton Devils full season memberships are now available for the 2019-20 season! Get great benefits such as FREE New Jersey Devils NHL tickets,exclusive access to Devils players, a brand new referral program, gift cards, and much more! For information on becoming a member, text "MEMBER" to 607-722-7367.
Download the FREE Binghamton Devils mobile app for Apple and Android. Get live score updates and breaking news notifications right to your phone!
For more information, including pricing, group outings, taking a limo to the game, fan experiences, and much more, visit www.binghamtondevils.com or call the Devils front office at 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils right wing Sam Kurker vs. the Springfield Thunderbirds
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2019
- Iowa Earns 4-3 Overtime Victory against Grand Rapids - Iowa Wild
- Wedgewood, Amerks Shutout Sound Tigers to Sweep Season Series - Rochester Americans
- Iowa Takes Down Griffins in Overtime - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Can't Withstand Wolves Charge - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Rally to Sink Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Mike Vecchione Scores Twice as Phantoms Defeat Charlotte - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hutchinson Steals Game for Marlies with a 42-Save Shutout - Laval Rocket
- Crunch Blank Comets, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Outlasted by Wolf Pack in 3-2 Shootout Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Halverson's Effort Helps Pack to Shootout Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bridgeport's seven-game win streak comes to an end in series finale against Rochester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Rally Late But Fall in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Devils Lose to Thunderbirds 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Saarela Scores Twice But Comeback Comes up Short - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Blank Senators 4-0 in Front of 10,207 Fans at the Q - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Defeat Bears 3-2 in OT Shootout - Providence Bruins
- T-Birds Stun Devils with Third-Period Comeback Win on Road - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Belleville Shutout in Cleveland - Belleville Senators
- Comets Shutout in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Roy and Steel Head to Gulls, McParland Released from PTO - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Jan Rutta from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game #53 Preview: Tucson vs. Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Pucks and Paws Day Set for March 10 - San Jose Barracuda
- Sound Tigers Face Americans Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Thunderbirds Sign G Alex Sakellaropoulous to PTO - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Kaser Wins 10th MAB Broadcast Excellence Award - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Kings Assign Matt Luff to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Marlies Look to Make It Three Straight - Toronto Marlies
- Flyers Loan Justin Bailey to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Coyotes Assign Fasching to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Battle Bakersfield Friday in Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Griffins Host Rockford on '90s Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Sign Forward Greg Wolfe to PTO Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Hockey, Hops and Hope Is Back March 12 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Monsters, March 8 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Bruins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.