Kaser Wins 10th MAB Broadcast Excellence Award
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - Grand Rapids Griffins hockey on Newsradio WOOD 106.9 FM & 1300 AM was honored by the Michigan Association of Broadcasters (MAB) during its 2018 Broadcast Excellence Awards, held Wednesday night in Lansing.
Bob Kaser's call of the Griffins' 4-3 shootout win over Cleveland on Dec. 29 was awarded "Best" in the Play-By-Play Sports category for Commercial Radio Market 2, which includes radio stations in Ann Arbor, Battle Creek, Flint, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Lansing and Tri-Cities. The award is based on the criteria of presentation and production values.
For Kaser, the Griffins' vice president of community relations and broadcasting, this marks the fourth straight year and the 10th time in the last 18 years that his broadcasts have been recognized by the MAB. Griffins hockey on WOOD also won "best" awards for 2016, 2015, 2012, 2006, 2003, 2002 and 2001, along with "merit" awards for 2017 and 2004.
During home games at Van Andel Arena, Kaser is alternately joined by color commentators Larry Figurski, sports anchor for WOOD TV8, and Lou Rabaut, a Grand Rapids attorney and longtime youth hockey coach and advocate.
Kaser, who has become one of the most revered and honored broadcasters in hockey during his 40 seasons behind the microphone, made his NHL broadcasting debut during the 2016-17 season, doing radio play-by-play for 13 Detroit Red Wings games and calling one telecast on Fox Sports Detroit. He manned the mic for another pair of Wings games earlier this season.
Now in his 19th season as the Griffins' play-by-play voice, the Kalamazoo native received the American Hockey League's 2009-10 James H. Ellery Memorial Award for excellence in radio broadcasting. During his tenure as director of communications and broadcasting for the International Hockey League's Kansas City Blades (1990-2000), Kaser was awarded the Bob Chase Award as IHL Broadcaster of the Year for both 1993-94 and 1997-98.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2019
- Iowa Earns 4-3 Overtime Victory against Grand Rapids - Iowa Wild
- Wedgewood, Amerks Shutout Sound Tigers to Sweep Season Series - Rochester Americans
- Iowa Takes Down Griffins in Overtime - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Can't Withstand Wolves Charge - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Rally to Sink Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Mike Vecchione Scores Twice as Phantoms Defeat Charlotte - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hutchinson Steals Game for Marlies with a 42-Save Shutout - Laval Rocket
- Crunch Blank Comets, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Outlasted by Wolf Pack in 3-2 Shootout Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Halverson's Effort Helps Pack to Shootout Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bridgeport's seven-game win streak comes to an end in series finale against Rochester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Rally Late But Fall in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Devils Lose to Thunderbirds 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Saarela Scores Twice But Comeback Comes up Short - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Blank Senators 4-0 in Front of 10,207 Fans at the Q - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Defeat Bears 3-2 in OT Shootout - Providence Bruins
- T-Birds Stun Devils with Third-Period Comeback Win on Road - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Belleville Shutout in Cleveland - Belleville Senators
- Comets Shutout in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Roy and Steel Head to Gulls, McParland Released from PTO - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Jan Rutta from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game #53 Preview: Tucson vs. Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Pucks and Paws Day Set for March 10 - San Jose Barracuda
- Sound Tigers Face Americans Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Thunderbirds Sign G Alex Sakellaropoulous to PTO - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Kaser Wins 10th MAB Broadcast Excellence Award - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Kings Assign Matt Luff to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Marlies Look to Make It Three Straight - Toronto Marlies
- Flyers Loan Justin Bailey to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Coyotes Assign Fasching to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Battle Bakersfield Friday in Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Griffins Host Rockford on '90s Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Sign Forward Greg Wolfe to PTO Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Hockey, Hops and Hope Is Back March 12 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Monsters, March 8 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Bruins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.