Wolves Rally to Sink Admirals
MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin -- The Chicago Wolves rallied to scored four third-period goals, including a penalty shot by forward Brooks Macek that proved to be the game winner, to defeat the Milwaukee Admirals 4-1 on Friday night at UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena.
Forward Keegan Kolesar tallied a goal and two assists for Chicago (34-18-5-2) and forward Curtis McKenzie added a pair of empty-net goals. Goaltender Max Lagace (16-7-4) stopped 25 shots in the win that put the Wolves back in sole possession of first place in the Central Division.
Alexandre Carrier scored the first-period goal for Milwaukee (25-23-12-1) while goaltender Troy Grosenick (16-13-4) recorded 30 saves.
Carrier opened the scoring at the 5:45 mark of the first, taking a shot straight from an offensive zone faceoff that went off the crossbar and in for a 1-0 lead that the Admirals would hold through the first two periods.
Kolesar tied the game just 1:28 into the third frame, redirecting a centering pass from defenseman Griffin Reinhert past Grosenick.
Macek drew a penalty after being slashed on a breakaway and gave the Wolves the lead for good at the 7:05 mark, scoring on the Wolves' first penalty shot since forward Brandon Pirri scored against Manitoba on Jan. 5, 2018. Grosenick got his glove on Macek's shot but the puck bounced out, over Grosenick's shoulder and into the net for the 2-1 advantage.
McKenzie tallied his first goal of the night at the 18:03 mark, sending a shot in from center ice on the empty net to give the Wolves a little insurance. His second goal came at 19:06 when Kolesar chased down his own attempt that missed the empty net and passed to McKenzie to seal the 4-1 victory.
The Wolves start a four-game homestand at 7 p.m. Saturday when the second-place Iowa Wild visit Allstate Arena for American Girl Night. To find the best ticket deals, visit ChicagoWolves.com or call 1-800-THE-WOLVES.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2019
- Iowa Earns 4-3 Overtime Victory against Grand Rapids - Iowa Wild
- Wedgewood, Amerks Shutout Sound Tigers to Sweep Season Series - Rochester Americans
- Iowa Takes Down Griffins in Overtime - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Can't Withstand Wolves Charge - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Rally to Sink Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Mike Vecchione Scores Twice as Phantoms Defeat Charlotte - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hutchinson Steals Game for Marlies with a 42-Save Shutout - Laval Rocket
- Crunch Blank Comets, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Outlasted by Wolf Pack in 3-2 Shootout Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Halverson's Effort Helps Pack to Shootout Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bridgeport's seven-game win streak comes to an end in series finale against Rochester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Rally Late But Fall in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Devils Lose to Thunderbirds 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Saarela Scores Twice But Comeback Comes up Short - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Blank Senators 4-0 in Front of 10,207 Fans at the Q - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Defeat Bears 3-2 in OT Shootout - Providence Bruins
- T-Birds Stun Devils with Third-Period Comeback Win on Road - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Belleville Shutout in Cleveland - Belleville Senators
- Comets Shutout in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Roy and Steel Head to Gulls, McParland Released from PTO - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Jan Rutta from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game #53 Preview: Tucson vs. Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Pucks and Paws Day Set for March 10 - San Jose Barracuda
- Sound Tigers Face Americans Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Thunderbirds Sign G Alex Sakellaropoulous to PTO - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Kaser Wins 10th MAB Broadcast Excellence Award - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Kings Assign Matt Luff to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Marlies Look to Make It Three Straight - Toronto Marlies
- Flyers Loan Justin Bailey to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Coyotes Assign Fasching to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Battle Bakersfield Friday in Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Griffins Host Rockford on '90s Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Sign Forward Greg Wolfe to PTO Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Hockey, Hops and Hope Is Back March 12 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Monsters, March 8 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Bruins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.