Admirals Can't Withstand Wolves Charge
Milwaukee, WI - The Admirals carried a 1-0 lead into the third period tonight against Chicago, but couldn't maintain the advantage as the Wolves scored four in the final stanza, including two empty-netters, to take down Milwaukee 4-1 on Friday night at Panther Arena.
This was the first time this season that the Admirals have lost a game in regulation when leading after two periods. Despite the loss the Ads remain tied for the fourth and final playoff spot in the Central Division with Rockford and Texas at 63 points.
The Admirals got on the board early in the opening frame courtesy of Alex Carrier's fourth goal of the season. Off an offensive zone face-off, Justin Kirkland won the draw back and Carrier stepped up to send a wrister through traffic that went over the shoulder of Chicago netminder Max Legace for a 1-0 lead.
The score stayed that way until Chicago tied things up until Keegan Kolesar deflected a pass from Griffin Reinhart just 1:28 into the third period.
The Wolves would take the lead at the 7:05 mark of the final stanza when Brooks Macek was awarded a penalty shot after being hooked from behind on a breakaway. Ads goalie Troy Grosenick made the initial stop with his glove but the momentum of the shot carried the puck over the goal line for a 2-1 Chicago lead.
The Wolves would add a pair of empty-net goals with Grosenick pulled in favor of an extra attacker to bring the final score to 4-1.
The Admirals look to rebound as they continue their three-in-three weekend when they host the Grand Rapids Griffins at 7 pm at Panther Arena. The first 2,500 fans will take home a Brewers/Admirals t-shirt, courtesy of the Brewers.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2019
- Iowa Earns 4-3 Overtime Victory against Grand Rapids - Iowa Wild
- Wedgewood, Amerks Shutout Sound Tigers to Sweep Season Series - Rochester Americans
- Iowa Takes Down Griffins in Overtime - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Can't Withstand Wolves Charge - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolves Rally to Sink Admirals - Chicago Wolves
- Mike Vecchione Scores Twice as Phantoms Defeat Charlotte - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Hutchinson Steals Game for Marlies with a 42-Save Shutout - Laval Rocket
- Crunch Blank Comets, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Penguins Outlasted by Wolf Pack in 3-2 Shootout Loss - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Halverson's Effort Helps Pack to Shootout Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bridgeport's seven-game win streak comes to an end in series finale against Rochester - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Rally Late But Fall in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Devils Lose to Thunderbirds 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Saarela Scores Twice But Comeback Comes up Short - Charlotte Checkers
- Monsters Blank Senators 4-0 in Front of 10,207 Fans at the Q - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Defeat Bears 3-2 in OT Shootout - Providence Bruins
- T-Birds Stun Devils with Third-Period Comeback Win on Road - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Belleville Shutout in Cleveland - Belleville Senators
- Comets Shutout in Syracuse - Utica Comets
- Roy and Steel Head to Gulls, McParland Released from PTO - San Diego Gulls
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Jan Rutta from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Game #53 Preview: Tucson vs. Ontario - Tucson Roadrunners
- Pucks and Paws Day Set for March 10 - San Jose Barracuda
- Sound Tigers Face Americans Tonight - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Thunderbirds Sign G Alex Sakellaropoulous to PTO - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Kaser Wins 10th MAB Broadcast Excellence Award - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Kings Assign Matt Luff to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Marlies Look to Make It Three Straight - Toronto Marlies
- Flyers Loan Justin Bailey to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Coyotes Assign Fasching to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Heat Battle Bakersfield Friday in Stockton - Stockton Heat
- Griffins Host Rockford on '90s Night - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Sign Forward Greg Wolfe to PTO Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Hockey, Hops and Hope Is Back March 12 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Monsters, March 8 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Bruins, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.