D.C. United Acquires Defender Jed Zayner
Washington, D.C. (August 6, 2010) - D.C. United today announced the club has acquired defender Jed Zayner from the Columbus Crew in return for a 2012 second round MLS SuperDraft selection. In addition, United will receive Columbus' 2011 fourth round SuperDraft selection in the deal.
"We are pleased to have concluded a trade for Jed," said United General Manager Dave Kasper. "He is a hard working, athletic defender who will provide solid cover for us. We look forward to having him join us in training."
Coming off a 2009 season that saw him play in 20 games (16 starts), while accumulating 1,467 minutes on the pitch, Zayner was a supporting member of the first-place Crew's line-up. In 2010 Zayner has made eight appearances (three starts) for Columbus. Zayner played in six games during the 2008 season when the Crew went on to win their first ever MLS Cup.
The native of Valparaiso, Indiana starred for the storied University of Indiana program for three years before he was drafted in the second round (13th overall) by Columbus in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft. However, he suffered a major setback after tearing his ACL early in his rookie season. After a year of rehabilitation, he returned to make two appearances during the 2007 season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 6, 2010
- Whitecaps FC play to goalless draw - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes Travel to the Rocky Mountains to Take on Colorado Rapids - San Jose Earthquakes
- Game Notes - Sounders FC Vs. Houston Dynamo - Seattle Sounders FC
- Trio of Earthquakes Undergo Successful Surgeries - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA's Gerson Mayén and Chukwudi Chijindu Loaned to Miami FC - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Red Bulls Waive Defender Kevin Goldthwaite - New York Red Bulls
- GOLTV to Carry Toronto FC CONCACAF Group Stage Matches - Toronto FC
- Near Sellout for Chicago Fire Match Against New York Red Bulls at Toyota Park on August 8 - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire Reacquire Defender Gonzalo Segares - Chicago Fire
- Red Bulls Luke Sassano and Brian Nielsen Undergo Successful Surgeries - New York Red Bulls
- SuperLiga 2010 Final Set for September 1 in Foxborough - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Learns Group A Schedule for CONCACAF Champions League - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Acquire Defender Tim Ward from Chicago - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Trade Defender Tim Ward to San Jose Earthquakes - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Acquires Defender Jed Zayner - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- Griffin Yow Named in World Cup Squad for U.S. U-17 Boys' National Team
- Arriola, Moreno and Rodriguez on International Duty Ahead of Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoff Match
- Time and Broadcast Update for Match against Toronto on October 19
- D.C. United Draw FC Cincinnati 0-0 in Final MLS Regular Season Match
- D.C. United Issues Club Statement on FloSports