Earthquakes Acquire Defender Tim Ward from Chicago
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that they have acquired defender Tim Ward from the Chicago Fire in exchange for a conditional pick in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft. Ward,
"Tim is someone we think can come in and address some of our depth issues and help us right now," said Earthquakes General Manager of Soccer Operations John Doyle. "He has been a quality player in this league for a number of years and we feel he will fit right in with us."
Ward is in the sixth year of his MLS career, in which he has appeared in 55 games, having started 48 of those. He has tallied six assists in his career, notching three in both 2009 and 2006. Ward spent the last year and a half with the Fire, starting all 25 matches he appeared in.
Ward was selected in the first round of the 2005 MLS SuperDraft and played for US national team coach Bob Bradley during his rookie season in New York. In 2006, Ward was traded to Columbus where he spent two seasons, before once again being traded, this time to Colorado. He was then acquired by Chicago in May of 2009.
The Wisconsin native spent one year at Saint Louis University, where he was named to the Conference USA All-Freshman team and tied for second on the team in assists, with four. He was named to the All Conference Second Team and was a second team selection for NSCAA Midwest Region. Ward then signed a Generation adidas contract and was selected 12th overall by the MetroStars.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 6, 2010
- Whitecaps FC play to goalless draw - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes Travel to the Rocky Mountains to Take on Colorado Rapids - San Jose Earthquakes
- Game Notes - Sounders FC Vs. Houston Dynamo - Seattle Sounders FC
- Trio of Earthquakes Undergo Successful Surgeries - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA's Gerson Mayén and Chukwudi Chijindu Loaned to Miami FC - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Red Bulls Waive Defender Kevin Goldthwaite - New York Red Bulls
- GOLTV to Carry Toronto FC CONCACAF Group Stage Matches - Toronto FC
- Near Sellout for Chicago Fire Match Against New York Red Bulls at Toyota Park on August 8 - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire Reacquire Defender Gonzalo Segares - Chicago Fire
- Red Bulls Luke Sassano and Brian Nielsen Undergo Successful Surgeries - New York Red Bulls
- SuperLiga 2010 Final Set for September 1 in Foxborough - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Learns Group A Schedule for CONCACAF Champions League - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Acquire Defender Tim Ward from Chicago - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Trade Defender Tim Ward to San Jose Earthquakes - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Acquires Defender Jed Zayner - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.