Chicago Fire Reacquire Defender Gonzalo Segares
CHICAGO, IL (August 6, 2010) - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced today that it has reacquired defender Gonzalo Segares. The 27-year-old Costa Rican defender rejoins the Fire on a free transfer after spending six months with Cypriot side Apollon Limassol. Segares will become available for selection by Fire head coach Carlos de los Cobos upon the receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC). Per MLS and club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"We are excited to have Gonzalo rejoin the Chicago Fire," said Fire Technical Director Frank Klopas. "Gonzalo is a dynamic and talented player who will make a great addition to the club. We are very happy to welcome him back to the Chicago Fire family."
Segares began his professional career with the Fire as a third round selection in the 2005 MLS SuperDraft. During his time with the club from 2005 to 2009, the Costa Rican international scored eight goals and tallied seven assists in 108 matches. While a regular starter during the 2006 season, Segares helped the Fire to the club's fourth Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. In 2007, Segares was recognized as the Fire Defender of the Year due to his hard-nosed, stingy defensive efforts.
Segares' consistent performance with the Fire led to his first career appearance with the Costa Rican national team during a friendly match against Honduras on 09/09/2007. Since then, he has become a first team member for Costa Rica, appearing 13 times in the 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers and 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup.
After departing the Fire in 2009, Segares signed with Apollon Limassol of Cyprus, where he appeared in 12 matches and helped the club to a fourth-place finish in the Cypriot First Division.
Player: Gonzalo Segares
Height: 5'11" (1.80 m)
Weight: 162 lbs. (73 kg)
Born: October 13, 1982
Hometown: San Jose, Costa Rica
Citizenship: Costa Rican
College: Virginia Commonwealth
Last Club: Apollon Limassol (CYP)
How Acquired: Signed as a free agent on August 6, 2010
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 6, 2010
- Whitecaps FC play to goalless draw - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Earthquakes Travel to the Rocky Mountains to Take on Colorado Rapids - San Jose Earthquakes
- Game Notes - Sounders FC Vs. Houston Dynamo - Seattle Sounders FC
- Trio of Earthquakes Undergo Successful Surgeries - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chivas USA's Gerson Mayén and Chukwudi Chijindu Loaned to Miami FC - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Red Bulls Waive Defender Kevin Goldthwaite - New York Red Bulls
- GOLTV to Carry Toronto FC CONCACAF Group Stage Matches - Toronto FC
- Near Sellout for Chicago Fire Match Against New York Red Bulls at Toyota Park on August 8 - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire Reacquire Defender Gonzalo Segares - Chicago Fire
- Red Bulls Luke Sassano and Brian Nielsen Undergo Successful Surgeries - New York Red Bulls
- SuperLiga 2010 Final Set for September 1 in Foxborough - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Learns Group A Schedule for CONCACAF Champions League - Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Match Preview - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Acquire Defender Tim Ward from Chicago - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Trade Defender Tim Ward to San Jose Earthquakes - Chicago Fire
- D.C. United Acquires Defender Jed Zayner - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Acquire Former Real Madrid Midfielder Alvaro Medran
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club, City of Chicago and Chicago Park District Announce the Team's Return to Soldier Field
- Chicago Fire Defender Bastian Schweinsteiger Retires from Professional Soccer
- Chicago Fire Defeats Orlando City SC 5-2 at Exploria Stadium
- Chicago Fire Defender Francisco Calvo, Midfielder Przemyslaw Frankowski Receive International Call-Ups