Culmination of OKC Dodgers MVP Program Presented by Devon Energy at MYP Field Day
OKLAHOMA CITY - More than 4,300 third- and fourth-grade students from 172 classrooms in the Edmond, Mid-Del, Norman, Oklahoma City and Putnam City school districts participated in the second year of the Oklahoma City Dodgers MVP Program: Encouraging STEM Education presented by Devon Energy.
The free program rewards area elementary students' achievements in science and math and encourages area students and their teachers to participate in STEM curriculum. Top-performing MVP students received tickets to an OKC Dodgers game and a commemorative MVP baseball hat.
"Devon Energy is committed to helping communities inspire young people to pursue an interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) subjects by working with schools and community organizations to enhance access to STEM education," said Christina Rehkop, manager of community affairs for Devon Energy. "Partnering with the OKC Dodgers for the MVP Program provided an ideal opportunity to further this goal."
The second year of the program culminates Saturday with MVP Field Day at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark - an exclusive event for MVP students and teachers, as well as their families. STEM activities will be available throughout MVP Field Day, presented by Science Museum Oklahoma, Oklahoma City Memorial Museum, OERB, Engage Learning Oklahoma, Geological Foundation of Oklahoma, iFly Indoor Skydiving, Girl Scouts of Western Oklahoma, and First Robotics. OKC Dodgers players will also be on hand, helping with hitting and throwing instruction, as well as signing autographs.
Participation in the program grew more than 300 percent in its second year after approximately 1,000 third- and fourth-grade students in Oklahoma City Public Schools benefitted during the program's first year in 2017.
"We are proud to have the chance to reward MVP Program students and teachers for their hard work during the school year and encourage future participation in STEM education throughout the greater Oklahoma City area," OKC Dodgers President/General Manager Michael Byrnes said. "We have received incredible responses from teachers and students during the program's first two years and we look forward to providing a fun MVP Field Day Saturday."
The OKC Dodgers MVP Program presented by Devon Energy will resume in August for the 2018-19 school year. Teachers seeking additional information about the OKC Dodgers MVP Program and how to participate in the third year of the program may contact Katy White at firstname.lastname@example.org or (405) 218-2105.
The OKC Dodgers open a four-game series tonight against the Nashville Sounds at 7:05 p.m. at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark on a $2 Thursday, featuring $2 Pepsi products, bottled water and select beer. The teams meet again at 7:05 p.m. Friday on Hometown Heroes Military Celebration Night, with fireworks to follow the game, presented by Oklahoma Blood Institute. The series continues at 7:05 p.m. Saturday before wrapping up at 2:05 p.m. on a Chaparral Energy Family Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Dodgers Rock Sounds in Series Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Court Walks It off for Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Alcantara, Telis Derail Express - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Baby Cakes Hold off Express 3-2 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Halfway to Halloween Returns to Chukchansi Park May 24 & 25 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Former Express LHP Brandon Mann Named Rangers Minor League Pitcher of the Month - Round Rock Express
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (May 21-29) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (20-18) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (24-12) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-17) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (24-13) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Begin Nine-Game Homestand Monday - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 17, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Look Forward to Homestand with Sacramento - Salt Lake Bees
- Culmination of OKC Dodgers MVP Program Presented by Devon Energy at MYP Field Day - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.