Baby Cakes Hold off Express 3-2 in Series Opener
METAIRIE, Louisiana - The Round Rock Express (16-25) tallied a pair of home runs, but it proved to not be enough as the New Orleans Baby Cakes (21-19) held on for a 3-2 victory in Thursday night's series opener at the Shrine on Airline.
Rehabbing Texas Rangers RHP Tim Lincecum (1-1, 7.11) suffered the loss after giving up the go-ahead New Orleans run on two hits and a walk while striking out one in a season-high 2.0 innings of relief. The righty threw 28 pitches, with 16 landing in the strike zone. On the winning side, Baby Cakes RHP Sandy Alcantara (2-1, 3.52) shined, holding the Express to two runs on five hits while striking out three in 8.0 frames.
New Orleans found the game's first run in the second inning as 1B Tomas Telis blasted a solo home run off Round Rock starter RHP Yovani Gallardo. The E-Train leveled the game at 1-1 in the seventh thanks to a solo Nick Noonan home run, his second in the last three games.
However, in the bottom of the frame, New Orleans 2B Eric Campbell roped a one-out double to left field, chasing Gallardo from the contest. Rehabbing Texas Rangers RHP Ricky Rodriguez entered in relief, allowing an RBI single to Telis that put the home side back on top 2-1. Gallardo finished having allowed a pair of runs on five hits and a walk in 5.1 innings.
The resilient Express tied the game once again in the seventh via a Christian Lopes solo home run. After a perfect 1-2-3 bottom of the seventh, Lincecum allowed a leadoff walk to RF Isaac Galloway to open the eighth. Back-to-back singles by CF Magneuris Sierra and Campbell allowed the go-ahead run to score.
New Orleans closer RHP Jumbo Diaz retired the side in order in the ninth to seal the narrow 3-2 victory for the Baby Cakes.
The two teams meet again on Friday night. Express RHP Austin Bibens-Dirkx (2-3, 4.04) is scheduled to take the mound against Baby Cakes RHP Ben Meyer (2-2, 2.40). First pitch at the Shrine on Airline in Metairie, Louisiana is set for 7:00 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RoundRockExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Twitter!
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Dodgers Rock Sounds in Series Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Court Walks It off for Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Alcantara, Telis Derail Express - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Baby Cakes Hold off Express 3-2 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Halfway to Halloween Returns to Chukchansi Park May 24 & 25 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Former Express LHP Brandon Mann Named Rangers Minor League Pitcher of the Month - Round Rock Express
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (May 21-29) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (20-18) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (24-12) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-17) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (24-13) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Begin Nine-Game Homestand Monday - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 17, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Look Forward to Homestand with Sacramento - Salt Lake Bees
- Culmination of OKC Dodgers MVP Program Presented by Devon Energy at MYP Field Day - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Name OF Kyle Tucker Most Valuable Player
- Round Rock Express 2019 Full-Season Game Notes
- Round Rock Express Partners with StellarAlgo
- Round Rock Express INF Abraham Toro, RHP Cristian Javier Named Houston Astros Minor League Players of the Year
- River Cats Top Express 7-5 in Season-Ending Heartbreaker