Alcantara, Telis Derail Express
Sandy Alcantara allowed two runs in a career-high eight innings and Tomas Telis homered and drove in two runs as the New Orleans Baby Cakes defeated the Round Rock Express, 3-2 on Thursday night.
Alcantara permitted two runs and five hits and struck out three without a walk. The right-hander pitched past the seventh inning for the first time in 76 career starts, but was going to be left without a decision until the Baby Cakes rallied in the bottom of the eighth.
Tim Lincecum (1-1), the former Cy Young Award winner now attempting to make a comeback with the Texas Rangers, issued a four-pitch walk to Isaac Galloway to lead off the inning. The Express correctly guessed Galloway would be running on the next at-bat and pitched out, but Magneuris Sierra was able to reach out to make contact for an infield single, and with nobody covering third base, Galloway hustled to take an extra base.
Eric Campbell then dumped a single into left-center field to bring in Galloway with the go-ahead run.
Jumbo Diaz pitched a perfect ninth inning to record his sixth save and hand the win to Alcantara (2-1).
Tomas Telis drove in each of the Baby Cakes' first two runs. He slugged his first home run of the year off Yovani Gallardo in the second inning, and ripped a go-ahead RBI single with two outs in the sixth to cash in a double by Campbell.
Campbell posted his team-leading 13th multi-hit game and is batting a Pacific Coast League-leading .440 over his last 20 games.
Nick Noonan went deep in the sixth for Round Rock, and Christian Lopes did the same an inning later to knot the score at 2-2. Alcantara had allowed just one home run in 38 innings entering the game.
Coming off a fifth consecutive win in a series opener, the Baby Cakes and Express meet for the second of the four-game set on Friday at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Dodgers Rock Sounds in Series Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Court Walks It off for Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Alcantara, Telis Derail Express - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Baby Cakes Hold off Express 3-2 in Series Opener - Round Rock Express
- Halfway to Halloween Returns to Chukchansi Park May 24 & 25 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Former Express LHP Brandon Mann Named Rangers Minor League Pitcher of the Month - Round Rock Express
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (May 21-29) - Memphis Redbirds
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (20-18) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (24-12) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-17) at Colorado Springs Sky Sox (24-13) - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Begin Nine-Game Homestand Monday - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 17, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Bees Look Forward to Homestand with Sacramento - Salt Lake Bees
- Culmination of OKC Dodgers MVP Program Presented by Devon Energy at MYP Field Day - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.