Crunch Come Back to Top Amerks, 2-1, in Shootout
ROCHESTER, N.Y. - After Cory Conacher forced overtime in the third period, he scored the game-winner in the first round of the shootout as the Syracuse Crunch came back to defeat the Rochester Americans, 2-1, tonight at the Blue Cross Arena.
Alex Volkov scored in the second round to secure a Crunch win, while goaltender Connor Ingram stopped both attempts. The victory builds a seven-game winning streak and moves the team to 28-13-2-1 on the season. The Crunch are now 2-2-1-0 in the 12-game series with the Amerks.
Ingram turned aside 17-of-18 shots before blocking both shootout attempts. Amerks netminder Scott Wedgewood made 31 saves, but went 0-for-2 in the shootout. Syracuse was unable to convert on five power play opportunities, but stopped Rochester's one man-advantage.
Rochester opened scoring 13:14 into the first period. Kevin Porter skated the puck into the zone and dropped it in the right circle for Taylor Leier to send home as he followed behind the play.
Syracuse evened the score 11:47 into the final frame to eventually force overtime. Jan Rutta's right-wing shot was stopped, but Conacher was able to clean up the rebound as he cut across the slot. Volkov recorded the secondary helper.
After a scoreless overtime frame, the game went to a shootout where Conacher and Volkov scored in the first two rounds.
The Crunch travel to face the Hartford Wolf Pack on Friday at 7:15 p.m.
Single game tickets and packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: With a goal tonight, Cory Conacher is now tied for 10th in scoring in Crunch franchise history with 149 points (52g, 97a)...The Crunch are 3-1 in shootouts this season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 6, 2019
- Free Pizza, Dog Days Promo Set for Wednesday Showdown with Pens - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Earn Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Get Shutout by Stars - Milwaukee Admirals
- Grand Rapids Gets by Moose, 2-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Stars Goaltender Landon Bow Shuts out Admirals in 1-0 Win - Texas Stars
- Four Bears Score to Drop T-Birds, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Come Back to Top Amerks, 2-1, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Unable to Keep Bears at Bay - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tough Third Trips up Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Roadrunners 'Painted Fan of the Game' Starts February 23 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iacopelli Assigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Berube's 40 Saves Helps Power Monsters Past Checkers, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Coyotes Recall Bunting from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Week 18 Report: Hot Hogs Storm out of All-Star Break - Rockford IceHogs
- John Muse Reassigned to Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Greer, Lindholm - Colorado Eagles
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Joel Eriksson Ek - Iowa Wild
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 18 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kyle Connor Named Ephesus/AHL Graduate of the Month - AHL
- Coyotes Assign Hill and Mermis to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Jets and Moose Celebrate Indigenous Culture with WASAC Night and Follow Your Dreams Day - Manitoba Moose
- Sens Acquire Beaudin from Colorado - Belleville Senators
- Colorado Avalanche Complete AHL Trade - Colorado Eagles
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Ottawa Recalls Goloubef, Rodewald - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Look to Cool off Bears Wednesday Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barracuda Point Streak Halted at Seven in Loss to Wild - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Gets Back in the Win Column with 4-2 Victory against San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Present Donation to Upstate University Hospital
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Forward Nikita Pavlychev to AHL Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Free Agent Defenseman Sean Day
- Alex Barre-Boulet Named to 2019-20 AHL Second All-Star Team
- Syracuse Crunch Statement Regarding the Cancellation of the Remainder of the 2019-20 Season