Barracuda Point Streak Halted at Seven in Loss to Wild
San Jose, Ca - The San Jose Barracuda (26-9-2-4) welcomed the Iowa Wild (25-16-4-3) (Minnesota Wild) to the SAP Center on Tuesday for the first time since 2016 and after giving up the games' first three goals, the deficit proved too steep as Wild earned a 4-2 win.
After killing off a too-many-men penalty at 3:33, Iowa opened up the scoring with the only goal of the frame at 12:19 of the first as Louie Belpedio (5) snapped in a shot from the left point over the right shoulder of a screened Josef Korenar on the power play.
In the second, Iowa came out of the gates on fire, outshooting San Jose nine-to-nothing before Gerald Mayhew (14) wired in a shot from the slot after San Jose failed to clear its own end at 8:14. Less than two minutes later, Colton Beck (13) would make it 3-0 as he jammed in a rebound off a Matt Read shot. San Jose would inch within two just a minute and six seconds after that point as Maxim Letunov threaded a pass from the left half-wall to Matt Fonteyne (4) in the slot and Fonteyne swiped in San Jose's first tally under Kaapo Kahkonen at 10:38.
In the third, the Barracuda settled into the game, dictating the pace of play, but it wasn't until the Barracuda pulled Korenar that they were to get within one. John McCarthy won a left-circle draw to Nick DeSimone (8) who immediately snapped in a shot short-side at 17:05, but Mayhew (15) would eliminate any hope for San Jose as he buried an empty-netter at 18:41.
Korenar (16-4-1) suffered the loss, snapping his three-game winning streak, after giving up four goals on 38 shots, while Kahkonen (13-9-4) ended his two game losing skid by making 24 saves on 25 shots.
The Barracuda hit the road on Friday as they take on the Bakersfield Condors, winners of nine in a row. The matchup pins the top two teams in the Pacific Division against one another and kicks off a two-game road trip for the Barracuda that ends in Ontario on Sunday. Catch all the broadcast action on AM 1220 KDOW, the Sharks + SAP Center App and watch on AHL TV. The Barracuda return back to the SAP Center on Tuesday, February 12 when the Tucson Roadrunners come to town. Get tickets at SJBarracuda.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 6, 2019
- Free Pizza, Dog Days Promo Set for Wednesday Showdown with Pens - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Earn Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Get Shutout by Stars - Milwaukee Admirals
- Grand Rapids Gets by Moose, 2-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Stars Goaltender Landon Bow Shuts out Admirals in 1-0 Win - Texas Stars
- Four Bears Score to Drop T-Birds, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Come Back to Top Amerks, 2-1, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Unable to Keep Bears at Bay - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tough Third Trips up Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Roadrunners 'Painted Fan of the Game' Starts February 23 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iacopelli Assigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Berube's 40 Saves Helps Power Monsters Past Checkers, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Coyotes Recall Bunting from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Week 18 Report: Hot Hogs Storm out of All-Star Break - Rockford IceHogs
- John Muse Reassigned to Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Greer, Lindholm - Colorado Eagles
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Joel Eriksson Ek - Iowa Wild
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 18 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kyle Connor Named Ephesus/AHL Graduate of the Month - AHL
- Coyotes Assign Hill and Mermis to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Jets and Moose Celebrate Indigenous Culture with WASAC Night and Follow Your Dreams Day - Manitoba Moose
- Sens Acquire Beaudin from Colorado - Belleville Senators
- Colorado Avalanche Complete AHL Trade - Colorado Eagles
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Ottawa Recalls Goloubef, Rodewald - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Look to Cool off Bears Wednesday Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barracuda Point Streak Halted at Seven in Loss to Wild - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Gets Back in the Win Column with 4-2 Victory against San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Barracuda Stories
- Barracuda Give up Three in the First, Fall 5-2 to Reign
- Barracuda Recall Goaltender Zachary Sawchenko from Orlando Solar Bears
- San Jose Pro Eaters, Joey Chestnut and Matt Stonie, Faceoff at First-Ever Barracuda Waffle-Eating Challenge
- San Jose Barracuda Reveal 5th Anniversary Team
- Barracuda Erase Two-Goal Deficit, Beat Condors 4-3