Berube's 40 Saves Helps Power Monsters Past Checkers, 5-1
CHARLOTTE, NC - The Cleveland Monsters defeated the Charlotte Checkers, 5-1, on Wednesday night at Bojangles' Coliseum. With the win, the Monsters improve to 22-20-4-1 overall this season and with 49 points, sit alone in fifth place in the AHL's North Division standings.
After a scoreless first period, Kole Sherwood netted an even-strength goal at 1:42 of the middle frame unassisted to give Cleveland a 1-0 lead. The Monsters extended their lead to 2-0 when Justin Scott potted home a power-play goal at 6:00 of the period with assists from Paul Bittner and Adam Clendening. Charlotte got on the board at 9:04 of the period when Nick Schilkey tallied an even-strength goal to trim the Monsters lead to 2-1.
In the third period, Monsters defenseman Doyle Somerby poked home a rebound from in front of the net at 2:07 thanks to assists from Nikita Korostelev and Ryan MacInnis to extend Cleveland's lead to 3-1. Moments later, MacInnis blasted home another goal from just inside the blue line at 2:36 with assists from Vitaly Abramov and Korostelev to give the Monsters a 4-1 advantage. Cleveland built their largest lead of the night at 9:11 of the final frame when Eric Robinson finished an even-strength marker courtesy of Scott and Ryan Collins to give the Monsters a 5-1 lead.
Cleveland goaltender Jean-Francois Berube stopped 40 of the 41 shots he faced to improve to 14-14-3 on the season, while Checkers netminder Scott Darling stopped 30 of the 35 shots he faced to drop to 5-6-2 on the year.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Saturday home matchup versus the Binghamton Devils with full coverage, live from The Q, underway at 7:00 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Monsters tickets for the hottest games of the year on sale now and start at only $10 per seat! Additionally, 2019-20 Monsters Hockey Club memberships, including the best seats for each game, the lowest ticket prices, exclusive year-round benefits and free gear are also on sale now. Visit www.clevelandmonsters.com/holiday or by calling the Monsters sales and service team at 216-420-0000. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters right wing Kole Sherwood against the Charlotte Checkers
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 6, 2019
- Free Pizza, Dog Days Promo Set for Wednesday Showdown with Pens - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Earn Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Get Shutout by Stars - Milwaukee Admirals
- Grand Rapids Gets by Moose, 2-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Stars Goaltender Landon Bow Shuts out Admirals in 1-0 Win - Texas Stars
- Four Bears Score to Drop T-Birds, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Come Back to Top Amerks, 2-1, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Unable to Keep Bears at Bay - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tough Third Trips up Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Roadrunners 'Painted Fan of the Game' Starts February 23 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iacopelli Assigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Berube's 40 Saves Helps Power Monsters Past Checkers, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Coyotes Recall Bunting from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Week 18 Report: Hot Hogs Storm out of All-Star Break - Rockford IceHogs
- John Muse Reassigned to Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Greer, Lindholm - Colorado Eagles
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Joel Eriksson Ek - Iowa Wild
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 18 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kyle Connor Named Ephesus/AHL Graduate of the Month - AHL
- Coyotes Assign Hill and Mermis to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Jets and Moose Celebrate Indigenous Culture with WASAC Night and Follow Your Dreams Day - Manitoba Moose
- Sens Acquire Beaudin from Colorado - Belleville Senators
- Colorado Avalanche Complete AHL Trade - Colorado Eagles
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Ottawa Recalls Goloubef, Rodewald - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Look to Cool off Bears Wednesday Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barracuda Point Streak Halted at Seven in Loss to Wild - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Gets Back in the Win Column with 4-2 Victory against San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Hold on for 4-3 Shootout Win over League-Leading Wolves
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Changes
- Blue Jackets Reassign Dalpe, MacInnis to Cleveland from Taxi Squad
- Shorthanded Monsters Battle to 6-3 Win over IceHogs
- Monsters Host BHC Night & Cavs Day in Weekend Homestand Versus IceHogs