Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m.
(Springfield, MA) - The Hershey Bears return to action with a Atlantic Division match up against the Springfield Thunderbirds. Hershey's last regulation loss came at the hands of the Thunderbirds on Jan. 11, and they have since earned points in nine straight.
Hershey Bears (23-20-0-3) at Springfield Thunderbirds (21-17-6-4)
February 6, 2019 | 7:05 PM | Game 47 | MassMutual Center
Referees: Beaudry Halkidis (48), Jordan Deckard (14)
Linesmen: Jesse Marquis (86), Kyle Richetelle (47)
Broadcast Information (Pre-game 6:35 p.m.)
RADIO: WQIC-100.1 FM, Fox Sports 1460-AM, Zack Fisch, the Voice of the Bears on the call.
LISTEN LIVE: Fox Sports AM-1460 Stream
WATCH LIVE: AHLTV, Caps Radio 24/7
ATLANTIC DIVISION STANDINGS
LAST TIME OUT:
The Hershey Bears skated to a 3-2 shootout win over the Belleville Senators on Super Bowl Sunday at Giant Center. The victory extended Hershey's current point streak to nine games (8-0-0-1). Shane Gersich opened the scoring with a breakaway goal 7:11 into the first period. After the Sens drew even only 1:37 later, Mike Sgarbossa tallied his team-best 21st goal of the season at 10:43. The Sens once again evened the score, courtesy of a goal by Drake Batherson 1:00 into the third period. After the Bears successfully killed a major penalty assessed to Nathan Walker in the final 3:33 of regulation, and in front of overtime, eventually a shootout was required to decide a victor. Riley Barber scored the lone shootout goal in the top of the first round, and Vitek Vanecek stopped all three shooters for the win. Springfield will look to bounce back after dropping a 4-3 decision to the Utica Comets on Saturday. Sebastian Repo, Jacob MacDonald and Jamie McGinn scored for the T-Birds.
SEASON SERIES VERSUS T-BIRDS:
After winning the first match up against Springfield this season, the Chocolate and White proceeded to drop the next three tilts, being out scored 14-5. Riley Barber has produced four points (one goal, three assists) in four meetings against Springfield. On the flip side, T-Birds forward Anthony Greco, recently named fastest skater in the 2019 AHL Skills Competition, has scored five goals in four games this season against the Bears. Harry Zolnierczyk has also tallied five points (one goal, four assists) in five games against Hershey.
BREAKING DOWN THE STREAK:
In Hershey's nine-game point streak (8-0-0-1), the Bears have outscored opponents 29-14. Since the streak started Jan 12, the Bears have out shot the opponent in eight of the nine games, and 281-206 overall. In the run, the penalty kill is 33-for-39 (84.6%). Mike Sgarbossa leads all Bears with 11 points (five goals, six assists) during the streak. Defender Ryan Sproul has scored the game-winning goal on three different occasions. Netminder Ilya Samsonov is 5-0-1 with a 0.98 goals against average and a .953 save percentage, while fellow goalie Vitek Vanecek is 3-0-0.
IF YOU'RE NOT FIRST, YOU'RE LAST:
Entering tonight, the Bears have scored the game's first goal in 14 of the past 15 contests. The Bears are 17-7-0-2 when they notch the game's opening tally. Hershey has scored first 26 times this season, the second highest total in the Atlantic Division, only trailing Bridgeport (27). Both Mike Sgarbossa and Nathan Walker have scored the first goal of the game six times, a mark that is tied for first in the AHL.
During the Bears nine-game point streak, the club has kept opponents under 30 shots in each game, under 25 shots on five occasions, and under 20 shots twice. Opponents are averaging just 22.88 shots per game during the point streak. The Bears allow the sixth least shots in the AHL per game (27.72), a ranking that has improved from 12th at the start of the streak.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 6, 2019
- Free Pizza, Dog Days Promo Set for Wednesday Showdown with Pens - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Earn Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Get Shutout by Stars - Milwaukee Admirals
- Grand Rapids Gets by Moose, 2-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Stars Goaltender Landon Bow Shuts out Admirals in 1-0 Win - Texas Stars
- Four Bears Score to Drop T-Birds, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Come Back to Top Amerks, 2-1, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Unable to Keep Bears at Bay - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tough Third Trips up Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Roadrunners 'Painted Fan of the Game' Starts February 23 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iacopelli Assigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Berube's 40 Saves Helps Power Monsters Past Checkers, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Coyotes Recall Bunting from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Week 18 Report: Hot Hogs Storm out of All-Star Break - Rockford IceHogs
- John Muse Reassigned to Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Greer, Lindholm - Colorado Eagles
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Joel Eriksson Ek - Iowa Wild
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 18 - Bridgeport Islanders
- Kyle Connor Named Ephesus/AHL Graduate of the Month - AHL
- Coyotes Assign Hill and Mermis to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Jets and Moose Celebrate Indigenous Culture with WASAC Night and Follow Your Dreams Day - Manitoba Moose
- Sens Acquire Beaudin from Colorado - Belleville Senators
- Colorado Avalanche Complete AHL Trade - Colorado Eagles
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Ottawa Recalls Goloubef, Rodewald - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Look to Cool off Bears Wednesday Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barracuda Point Streak Halted at Seven in Loss to Wild - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Gets Back in the Win Column with 4-2 Victory against San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Hershey's Zack Fisch Named 2020-21 Recipient of Ken McKenzie Award
- Capitals Re-Sign Axel Jonsson-Fjallby
- Capitals Re-Sign Joe Snively
- Spencer Carbery Wins Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award as AHL's Outstanding Coach
- McMichael, Schilling Named to 2020-21 AHL North Division All-Star Team