Jets and Moose Celebrate Indigenous Culture with WASAC Night and Follow Your Dreams Day
WINNIPEG - As part of the NHL's "This is Hockey" initiative, which promotes diversity and inclusiveness in hockey, True North Sports + Entertainment will host two hockey games that celebrate Indigenous culture in Manitoba: Winnipeg Jets WASAC (Winnipeg Aboriginal Sport Achievement Centre) Night on Saturday, Feb. 16, and Manitoba Moose Follow Your Dreams Day on Sunday, Feb. 17.
This is Hockey promotes hockey as a sport for everyone and the need to provide a safe and inclusive environment for everyone in the community to both play and enjoy.
To celebrate each of these special games, True North has collaborated with Red River College graphic design student Leticia Spence, from Pimicikamak First Nation (Cross Lake, Manitoba), to develop a special version of both the Winnipeg Jets and Manitoba Moose logos that incorporate the artwork and symbolism of several Indigenous cultures, including her own Cree heritage. T-shirts with each logo will be sold on the concourse at each of their respective games on Feb. 16 and 17 with proceeds going toward WASAC.
To learn more about Spence and the development and symbolism of the Winnipeg Jets WASAC and Moose Follow Your Dreams logos, watch this video: https://www.nhl.com/jets/video/c-65615003
To download high resolution files of the Winnipeg Jets WASAC logo and Manitoba Moose Follow Your Dreams logo, visit: https://winnipegjets.sharefile.com/d-s02b5054bce146bab.
On Feb. 16, as part of WASAC Night, the Winnipeg Jets will welcome 30 Indigenous youth from remote and northern communities including Lac Brochet, Oxford House, Pauingassi, and Shamattawa, providing them with the rare chance to experience a professional hockey game. These students will write about their experiences participating in this unique opportunity with True North and what the Jets mean to their community. Their full experience will include taking in the Winnipeg Jets and Ottawa Senators gameday skates and skating with Indigenous NHL alumni Reggie Leach, Jamie Leach, and Daryl Stanley at Camp Manitou before returning to Bell MTS Place for the game.
WASAC Night will feature local Indigenous country and folk singer Don Amero singing the national anthem, drumming group Spirit Sands Singers, and a ceremonial puck drop featuring Indigenous youth and elders.
Manitoba Moose Follow Your Dreams Day will welcome 500 youth from Indigenous communities throughout Manitoba. Students will have an exclusive opportunity to take part in a meet and greet/Q & A session with Indigenous NHL alumni Reggie Leach, Jamie Leach, and Daryl Stanley before attending the Moose 2 p.m. matchup vs. the Milwaukee Admirals. Moose fans will also be treated to drumming from the Spirit Sands Singers.
Tickets to WASAC Night and Follow Your Dreams Day are available at winnipegjets.com/tickets and moosehockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 6, 2019
- Free Pizza, Dog Days Promo Set for Wednesday Showdown with Pens - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Earn Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Get Shutout by Stars - Milwaukee Admirals
- Grand Rapids Gets by Moose, 2-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Stars Goaltender Landon Bow Shuts out Admirals in 1-0 Win - Texas Stars
- Four Bears Score to Drop T-Birds, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Come Back to Top Amerks, 2-1, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Unable to Keep Bears at Bay - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tough Third Trips up Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Roadrunners 'Painted Fan of the Game' Starts February 23 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iacopelli Assigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Berube's 40 Saves Helps Power Monsters Past Checkers, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Coyotes Recall Bunting from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Week 18 Report: Hot Hogs Storm out of All-Star Break - Rockford IceHogs
- John Muse Reassigned to Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Greer, Lindholm - Colorado Eagles
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Joel Eriksson Ek - Iowa Wild
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 18 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kyle Connor Named Ephesus/AHL Graduate of the Month - AHL
- Coyotes Assign Hill and Mermis to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Jets and Moose Celebrate Indigenous Culture with WASAC Night and Follow Your Dreams Day - Manitoba Moose
- Sens Acquire Beaudin from Colorado - Belleville Senators
- Colorado Avalanche Complete AHL Trade - Colorado Eagles
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Ottawa Recalls Goloubef, Rodewald - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Look to Cool off Bears Wednesday Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barracuda Point Streak Halted at Seven in Loss to Wild - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Gets Back in the Win Column with 4-2 Victory against San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Manitoba Moose Stories
- Moose Rally Falls Short
- Manitoba Edged by Laval, 2-1
- Moose Edged, 4-3
- Moose Pull away in Third, 4-2
- Moose Announce Full 2020-21 Regular Season Schedule