Grand Rapids Gets by Moose, 2-1
The Manitoba Moose (20-21-3-2) couldn't hold on, falling 2-1 to the Grand Rapids Griffins (27-15-3-4) at Van Andel Arena, Wednesday night. The Moose controlled most of the opening period with Brent Pedersen registering a couple of solid chances. Off a faceoff, Pedersen flipped a puck on net, it found it's way past Harri Sateri before the Griffins scrambled to keep it from crossing the goal line. In the last five minutes of the opening frame, the teams traded 30-second power plays on either side of some four-on-four action, but couldn't find an opening goal. Manitoba led the shot category 8-5 as time ran out in the first.
The Griffins took over momentum early in the second frame aided by an early Moose penalty. Eric Comrie stood tall, stopping a total of 15 shots in the middle period and keeping Grand Rapids off the board. Manitoba broke the deadlock at 18:29 of the second when Skyler McKenzie whistled a shot below the glove of Sateri off the rush. The clock ticked down and the Moose went to the break up 1-0.
Manitoba was able to keep the Griffins at bay for most of the third period. Tucker Poolman had several chances to double his team's lead, including being robbed on the back door by Sateri within the final five minutes of regulation. Two Moose penalties inside the last three minutes gave Grand Rapids an opening, and they took it. With the goalie pulled and Grand Rapids outnumbering Manitoba six skaters to three, Philip Hronek blasted the Griffins onto the scoreboard at 18:37. Less than one minute later, and still on the power play, Hronek scored on another one-timer from the point. Manitoba couldn't force overtime in the remaining 25 seconds, resulting in the 2-1 loss.
The game was the 100th all-time (AHL/IHL) between the Moose and Griffins.
Tucker Poolman is on a three-game point streak with four assists in that span. What's Next?
The Moose start a homestand with two games against the Texas Stars this weekend. On Saturday Feb. 9, the club celebrates Multicultural Night, which will include performances provided by Folklorama performers. On Sunday, Feb. 10, it's Polar Bear Jersey Day in support of the Assiniboine Park Zoo Polar bear Rescue Team. A specialty jersey will be worn by the team and auctioned off on the concourse during the game, as well as online afterwards.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 6, 2019
- Free Pizza, Dog Days Promo Set for Wednesday Showdown with Pens - Rockford IceHogs
- Amerks Earn Point in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Admirals Get Shutout by Stars - Milwaukee Admirals
- Grand Rapids Gets by Moose, 2-1 - Manitoba Moose
- Stars Goaltender Landon Bow Shuts out Admirals in 1-0 Win - Texas Stars
- Four Bears Score to Drop T-Birds, 4-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Come Back to Top Amerks, 2-1, in Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Unable to Keep Bears at Bay - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tough Third Trips up Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Roadrunners 'Painted Fan of the Game' Starts February 23 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Iacopelli Assigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Berube's 40 Saves Helps Power Monsters Past Checkers, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Coyotes Recall Bunting from Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Week 18 Report: Hot Hogs Storm out of All-Star Break - Rockford IceHogs
- John Muse Reassigned to Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Colorado Avalanche Recall Greer, Lindholm - Colorado Eagles
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Forward Joel Eriksson Ek - Iowa Wild
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 18 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kyle Connor Named Ephesus/AHL Graduate of the Month - AHL
- Coyotes Assign Hill and Mermis to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Jets and Moose Celebrate Indigenous Culture with WASAC Night and Follow Your Dreams Day - Manitoba Moose
- Sens Acquire Beaudin from Colorado - Belleville Senators
- Colorado Avalanche Complete AHL Trade - Colorado Eagles
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Ottawa Recalls Goloubef, Rodewald - Belleville Senators
- T-Birds Look to Cool off Bears Wednesday Night - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barracuda Point Streak Halted at Seven in Loss to Wild - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Gets Back in the Win Column with 4-2 Victory against San Jose - Iowa Wild
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.