Comets Power Stifled in Shootout
Utica, N.Y. - Despite scoring four power play goals, the Utica Comets fell to the Belleville Senators 5-4 in a shootout Wednesday night at CAA Arena. Tanner Kero struck twice with additional tallies coming from Zack MacEwen and Michael Carcone for Utica. Ivan Kulbakov made 27 saves, yet his record fell to 5-4-2.
Jonathan Racine lit the board four minutes into the first period, firing a shot that beat Kulbakov on the short side. The Comets had several opportunities to tie the game, including two power plays, but were denied by Senators goaltender Filip Gustavsson.
Carcone evened the game with a power play goal two minutes into the second period, beating Gustavsson with a long shot from the top of the left circle. Evan McEneny tallied the lone assist. Filip Chlapik and Jack Rodewald scored 54 seconds apart to put Belleville back on top just minutes later. The Comets power play came alive midway through the period as Kero blasted a one-timer past Gustavsson to bring the Comets within one. Jonathan Dahlen and Olli Juolevi tallied the assists. Still up a man, MacEwen deposited a rebound 1:39 later to tie the game at three. McEneny and Dahlen picked up the helpers. Paul Carey responded to regain the lead for Belleville with 4:33 to go in the second.
Kero knotted things up at four with his second of the night at the 8:17 mark of the third period. Juolevi and Reid Boucher had the assists. Neither team found the net in the final 12 minutes and the game would head to overtime.
The two teams battled hard but Kulbakov and Gustavsson held strong to send the game to a shootout. This would be the Comets second time to a shootout in the last three games.
Rudolfs Balcers and Adam Tambellini scored in the shootout to give Belleville the win while none of the Comets shooters could beat Gustavsson.
The Comets return home Friday night to host the Syracuse Crunch in Game Two of the Galaxy Cup series on Hockey Fights Cancer Night. Puck drop is at 7 p.m. Fans are encouraged to utilize the ticket exchange website, StubHub!. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 14, 2018
- Lazar and Schneider Lead Heat to Another Win in Colorado 4-2 - Stockton Heat
- Admirals Blanked by Iowa - Milwaukee Admirals
- Crunch Rally Past Devils, 5-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers Rally Late But Drop OT Decision to Phantoms - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Beat Comets in Shootout - Belleville Senators
- Devils Lose Two-Goal Lead to Crunch in 5-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Comets Power Stifled in Shootout - Utica Comets
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Barracuda Staff to Participate in Sled Hockey/Special Hockey Practice this Friday - San Jose Barracuda
- Rangers Recall Alexandar Georgiev from Hartford, Return Mazanec - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Carrick Again - San Diego Gulls
- Fucale Returns to Fort Wayne - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Ground Hogs, Snap Road Point Streak - Rockford IceHogs
- Two for Twenty Tuesday Next Week at Tucson Arena as Roadrunners Host Heat - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Assign Yates to Walleye - Grand Rapids Griffins
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Cheap Food and Kids-In-Free Highlights Thanksgiving Eve Showdown with Stockton - Tucson Roadrunners
- Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Adam Clendening to Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Fritz scores twice in overtime loss at Hartford - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Butler Does It: Lifts Wolf Pack in Overtime - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Zadina and Rybar School 'Hogs - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Matt Luff Recalled by Kings - Ontario Reign
- Tristan Jarry Scores in Penguins' 5-1 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Jarry, Penguins Spoil T-Birds 101 School Day Game in Front of 6,000+ Fans - Springfield Thunderbirds
- First Road Watch Party this Friday at Savoy Lounge - Rockford IceHogs
- Forward Caleb Herbert Reassigned to Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Conclude Road Trip in Colorado at 6:05 Pacific - Stockton Heat
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Comets, November 14 - Belleville Senators
- Rangers Recall Marek Mazanec from Hartford, Assign Alexandar Georgiev - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sound Tigers Clash with Wolf Pack at 11 a.m. - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rocket Special Teams Lift Them over Defending Calder Cup Champions 6-2 - Laval Rocket
- Heat Rally Late for 5-4 Overtime Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Signed, Sealed and Delivered the Win by Rob Hamilton in OT 5-4 - Stockton Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.