Colorado Rapids Return to Action Saturday in CincinnatiÃÂ
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. â The Colorado Rapids (4-2-1, 13 points) return to action for the first time in three weeks when they visit FC Cincinnati (1-4-1, 4 points) on Saturday, June 19. Kickoff is set for 5:30 PM at TQL Stadium, with pregame coverage beginning on Altitude Sports at 5 PM and Altitude Sports Radio 92.5 FM at 5:15 PM.
"We're obviously coming off a pretty lengthy break here where I'm sure other teams have done similar things where we've gotten to rest guys, rehab guys, work on bringing guys back. The break has been good in many ways but we're obviously chomping at the bit to get back to playing and looking forward to the game," Rapids head coach Robin Fraser said. "We know it's going to be a difficult game. Brand new venue, I'm sure there will be a lot of excitement about it. In spite of Cincinnati's record so far, they have a good team with lots of very good players. We know that at any time they're really going to break through. We know they're a quality team. Certainly, we've been working hard the last couple weeks to get ourselves ready for it."
This is Colorado's first match since a 3-0 win over FC Dallas on May 29. Keegan Rosenberry opened the scoring with a blistering strike from distance in the 13th minute before Auston Trusty's aggressive work forced an FC Dallas own goal to make it 2-0. Colombian winger Michael Barrios capped off the evening with his first goal at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park, a right-footed blast into the top corner that was nominated for MLS Goal of the Week.
Barrios' goal was his second in as many games, giving him two goals and two assists in his last three games. Rosenberry's was his first goal of the season and his third with the Rapids. Goalkeeper William Yarbrough made a season-high six saves to earn his third clean sheet of the season, which is tied for third in MLS.
The Rapids enter the match with the best road record in MLS since Fraser's first match as Rapids head coach on Aug. 31, 2019. Colorado has won eight games since then, which are tied for the most in MLS, and their 1.63 points per game on the road is the highest in the league. Colorado is 8-6-2 (W-L-D) on the road under Fraser. The Rapids also boast one of the best attacks in MLS this season; their 1.71 goals per game are the fourth-most in MLS.
Barrios, Diego Rubio and Cole Bassett lead the team with two goals apiece, while captain Jack Price is tied for fourth in MLS with three assists.
Cincinnati is coming off a 1-0 loss to New England Revolution on May 29 at TQL Stadium. Cincinnati's only win this season came on May 22, 2-1 over CF Montreal. The Blue and Orange have scored six goals in six games this season.
Six players have scored one goal for Cincinnati this season, while Ronald Matarrita leads the team with three assists. Three different goalkeepers have started at least one match for Cincinnati this season.
This is the second all-time meeting between these clubs. In June 2019, Rubio, Nicolás Mezquida and Andre Shinyashiki scored to lead the Rapids to a 3-1 win at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park. This is the first of three meetings against Eastern Conference teams for Colorado this season.
"They have a lot of good players, especially the two guys up top, they're very dangerous. We know that," midfielder Cole Bassett said. "We know that they're a hard-working team, especially going forward, they're a big threat in behind and they have a lot of pace as well so we'll have to deal with that. But also we just have to play our own game and do what we do well, hopefully try to out-possess them and tire them out and finish off our chances. We've been ruthless so far and we have to continue that."
Throughout the weekend, Major League Soccer and its clubs will recognize Juneteenth - the effective end of slavery in the United States - with a series of initiatives to celebrate freedom, including the playing of Black National Anthem. In collaboration with Black Players for Change (BPC), clubs will auction limited-edition, game-worn jerseys, with proceeds benefiting organizations supporting and uplifting Black communities in MLS markets. Click here for more information.
News & Notes
The Rapids have scored 12 goals in seven matches this season, which is the fourth-highest clip in MLS (1.71 goals per game). Since the beginning of 2019, Colorado has scored 102 goals in 59 MLS matches, the third-highest rate in the league (1.73 goals per game).
Since Robin Fraser's first game as head coach on Aug. 31, 2019, the Rapids are 8-6-2 (W-L-D) on the road. Colorado's eight road wins are tied for the most in MLS in that span (NYCFC), while their 1.63 points per game as the visitors are the most in MLS since then.
Colorado has created .371 xG (expected goals) off counter attacks this season, which is the second-most in MLS behind San Jose (per MLSsoccer.com).
Kellyn Acosta rejoins the Rapids after appearing in four matches for the USMNT, including the Concacaf Nations League Final. Acosta was the only MLS player to play all 120 minutes as the U.S. defeated Mexico, 3-2, to capture the inaugural Nations League title at Empower Field at Mile High.
Captain Jack Price leads the team and is tied for third in MLS with three assists this season. Price was Colorado's co-leader with five assists in 2020, alongside Cole Bassett.
Michael Barrios has goals in two consecutive games and has two goals and two assists in his last three games.
Diego Rubio has two goals and one assist in his last five games. Rubio is tied for the team lead with two goals, alongside F Michael Barrios and M Cole Bassett. Rubio's next appearance will be his 50th with Colorado in MLS.
Danny Wilson's next appearance will be his 60th with Colorado in MLS.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 18, 2021
- New York Hands Nashville SC First Loss of the Season at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Nashville Soccer Club Falls for the First Time in 2021 Season - Nashville SC
- Chicago Fire FC Unveils New Crest and Visual Identity Directly Inspired by More Than 20,000 Fire Fans and Supporters - Chicago Fire FC
- LAFC Loans Five Players to Las Vegas Lights FC for Upcoming Match against Orange County Sc - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Release Match Information for Match Saturday vs. Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- Sporting KC, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum Commemorate Juneteenth - Sporting Kansas City
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at La Galaxy - June 19, 2021 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Catie Griggs to Depart Atlanta United in July - Atlanta United FC
- 'A Lot of Great Memories': Alex Muyl Returns to Face the New York Red Bulls for the First Time - Nashville SC
- Minnesota United FC at FC Dallas Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo FC Return to League Play on National TV - Houston Dynamo FC
- #DALvMIN: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Loan Eric Calvillo to Orange County SC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Atlanta United Announces the Unity Kit Tour - Atlanta United FC
- Colorado Rapids Return to Action Saturday in CincinnatiÃÂ - Colorado Rapids
- Acosta, Bassett, Lewis, Trusty & Vines Named to Provisional Gold Cup Roster - Colorado Rapids
- Five Houston Dynamo FC Players Named to Preliminary Concacaf Gold Cup Rosters - Houston Dynamo FC
- By the Numbers: Back from the Break - Orlando City SC
- Brandt Bronico Discusses His Successful Loan, Future Teammate Christian Fuchs - Charlotte FC
- Second-Place Sporting Visits Portland on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Inter Miami CF, Fort Lauderdale CF Players Included in 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Preliminary Rosters - Inter Miami CF
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at New York City FC - New England Revolution
- Academy Teams to Play Friendly Games Again - Club de Foot Montreal
- Provisional Rosters Released for Concacaf Gold Cup - Sporting Kansas City
- Orlando City Returns to Action against Toronto FC on Saturday - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids Trade Nicolas Benezet to Seattle Sounders FC
- Sam Vines Joins Belgian Side Royal Antwerp F.C.ÃÂ
- Gold Cup Trophy Represents Another Summit for Acosta
- Week 16: Michael Barrios Earns Team of the Week Nod
- Acosta's Game-Winning Assist Leads USMNT to Concacaf Gold Cup Victory