Chupacabras Calm Cazadores de Tormentas 5-3
PAPILLION, Nebraska - The Round Rock Chupacabras (84-55) clinched the best record in the Pacific Coast League with a 5-3 victory over the Omaha Cazadores de Tormentas (58-80) on Sunday night at Werner Park. Chupacabras 1B Taylor Jones went 2-4 with a home run and three RBI to help fuel the victory.
Round Rock starter RHP Carson LaRue (2-4, 5.40) earned the win after holding Omaha to only three earned runs on seven hits while fanning a pair in 7.0 solid innings. On the losing side, Cazadores de Tormentas LHP Foster Griffin (8-6, 5.23) allowed four runs on five hits and two walks in a 7.0-inning start.
Early offense for both teams was provided via the longball. 2B Taylor Featherston opened scoring for Omaha as he notched a leadoff home run in the second inning. In the fourth, Jones collected a homer of his own, a two-run shot that plated 2B Myles Straw, who opened the frame with a single.
The Cazadores de Tormentas answered in the home half as 1B Erich Weiss singled before LF Elier Hernandez stepped up to the plate and hit a double. DH Jimmy Govern then grounded into a forceout that allowed Weiss to plate a run and level the score at two.
In the fifth, Round Rock regained the lead as C Jamie Ritchie singled before LF Alex De Goti drew a walk. RF Chas McCormick then notched a timely RBI single to break the tie. After an Omaha mound visit, Straw hit a groundball to third base, but De Goti raced home in time to extend the lead to 5-2.
Omaha attempted a rally in the bottom of the seventh as Govern notched a solo shot to lead off the frame. However, McCormick opened the eighth with a triple that was later plated on a double off the bat of Jones to preserve the two-run lead.
Ultimately, the Cazadores de Tormentas rally stalled as RHP Dean Deetz relieved LaRue and tossed 2.0 scoreless innings in which he surrendered only one hit and a pair of walks while fanning five.
Round Rock caps off regular season play with a Monday afternoon series against Omaha that is set to feature a pair of starting pitchers yet to be announced. First pitch at Werner Park is scheduled for 12:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Express Topple Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Complete Largest Comeback of the Season - Salt Lake Bees
- Aces Fall in Penultimate Game of 2019 - Reno Aces
- River Cats toss shutout to push Chihuahuas to the brink - Sacramento River Cats
- Chupacabras Calm Cazadores de Tormentas 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- Dillard Dazzles in Front of Sellout Crowd - Nashville Sounds
- Sounds Sink Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Rios Homers and Drives in Five Runs in Dodgers Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (64-72) vs. San Antonio Missions (80-58) - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Holds on for 6-5 Victory over Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Rally Late But Just Short at Iowa, 6-5 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - September 1, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (69-69) at Iowa Cubs (73-65) - Memphis Redbirds
- Aviators Fall 3-2 to Tacoma - Las Vegas Aviators
- Missions Slug Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Overton Razor Sharp in Beating Sacramento - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Misiewicz Dominant to Propel Rainiers to Second-Straight Win in Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ward and Grizzlies claw past Isotopes 4-2 Saturday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Cueto superb in second rehab start with Sacramento - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies Take Second in a Row from Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express to Host "Kicks and Tricks" Kickball Tournament
- Rodeo Austin to Host New Event with Round Rock Express
- Special Guests Added for Encore Drive-In Night at Dell Diamond
- Koe Wetzel to Perform Live at Dell Diamond on October 16
- Inaugural Tailgates and Tunes Concert Series Relaunched