Iowa Holds on for 6-5 Victory over Memphis
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (74-65) scored five runs in the first inning en route to a 6-5 defeat of the Memphis Redbirds (69-70), Sunday at Principal Park.
Consecutive hits from Donnie Dewees, Jim Adduci, P.J. Higgins and Dixon Machado opened the first and led to a 1-0 Iowa lead with Higgins collecting the RBI. Vimael Machin drew a bases-load walk to force in another run, before a Zack Short double knocked in a pair. Johnny Field capped the five-run effort with a sacrifice fly.
Memphis countered in the second as an Adolis Garcia homer off rehabbing Kendall Graveman got the visitors on the board. The righty held the Redbirds to the sole run on two hits through 3.0 frames. He walked one and fanned two.
In the fifth, Higgins blasted his fifth homer of the season as an I-Cub to add necessary insurance to for Iowa. John Nogowski answered with a two-run shot in the sixth to shrink the gap to 6-3.
Memphis kept the game alive with two runs on four hits in the ninth to make it a one-run game, but the comeback fell short as Alex Wilson collected the save.
Matt Swarmer (10-11) netted the win with three earned runs allowed through 5.0 innings. The righty walked none and struck out five.
- Charcer Burks made his Triple-A debut as a defensive replacement in left field in the eighth.
- P.J. Higgins went 2-for-4 with two runs, one home run and one RBI.
The I-Cubs complete the 2019 regular season at 12:08 p.m. on Monday. The I-Cubs return to Principal Park on Friday, Sept. 4 for a 7:08 p.m. first pitch in Game 3 of the first round of the PCL Playoffs. The first 1,000 fans will receive a rally towel. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Express Topple Chasers 5-3 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Bees Complete Largest Comeback of the Season - Salt Lake Bees
- Aces Fall in Penultimate Game of 2019 - Reno Aces
- River Cats toss shutout to push Chihuahuas to the brink - Sacramento River Cats
- Chupacabras Calm Cazadores de Tormentas 5-3 - Round Rock Express
- Dillard Dazzles in Front of Sellout Crowd - Nashville Sounds
- Sounds Sink Missions - San Antonio Missions
- Rios Homers and Drives in Five Runs in Dodgers Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (64-72) vs. San Antonio Missions (80-58) - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Holds on for 6-5 Victory over Memphis - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Rally Late But Just Short at Iowa, 6-5 - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - September 1, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (69-69) at Iowa Cubs (73-65) - Memphis Redbirds
- Aviators Fall 3-2 to Tacoma - Las Vegas Aviators
- Missions Slug Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- Overton Razor Sharp in Beating Sacramento - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Misiewicz Dominant to Propel Rainiers to Second-Straight Win in Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Ward and Grizzlies claw past Isotopes 4-2 Saturday - Fresno Grizzlies
- Cueto superb in second rehab start with Sacramento - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies Take Second in a Row from Isotopes - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.