Chavis Helps Slug PawSox to 5-2 Win
BUFFALO, N.Y. - On the one-year anniversary - and back at the scene - of his Triple-A debut, Michael Chavis highlighted a Pawtucket Red Sox attack loaded with extra-base pop in a 5-2 win over the Buffalo Bisons on Saturday night at Sahlen Field.
Chavis, in the second game of his rehab assignment coming back from a shoulder injury, went 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles and played six innings at first base. In the first, Chavis lasered a double off the left-field wall, missing a home run by inches. The rookie then singled up the middle in the fifth and doubled off the center-field wall in the seventh. A year ago to the day, Chavis made his Triple-A debut at the same ballpark and posted a three-hit day with a homer.
For a second straight night, the PawSox (56-74) hit three solo homers and have now already clinched a series win ahead of Sunday's finale with the Bisons (66-65).
Batting in place of Chavis in the ninth inning, Josh Ockimey clobbered a solo homer to deep right-center field - his 23rd long ball of the season. In the second inning, Bobby Dalbec went opposite field with his fourth Triple-A homer (and his 24th combined between Double-A Portland and Pawtucket).
Gorkys Hernández (3-for-4, R) and Juan Centeno (2-for-4) each recorded multi-hit nights.
Pawtucket starter Erasmo Ramírez (W, 5-8) fired six innings of two-run ball without a walk, and relievers Bobby Poyner, Tanner Houck and Travis Lakins (S, 6) combined on three hitless innings out of the bullpen.
Buffalo starter T.J. Zeuch (L, 4-3) allowed three runs on eight hits and a walk in five innings.
The PawSox conclude the series in Buffalo on Sunday at 1:05 p.m. Pawtucket right-hander Mike Shawaryn is scheduled to oppose Bisons righty Nate Pearson. Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 12:35 p.m.
Following the seven-game road trip through Scranton and Buffalo, the PawSox return home for a nine-game homestand August 26th through September 2nd (Monday-Monday) against the Yankees' and Phillies' Triple-A affiliates.
On August 27 (Tuesday), the PawSox will again play as the popular Osos Polares de Pawtucket. Then on August 29 (Thursday), the PawSox will host Team Poster and Autograph Night. The first 5,000 fans entering the stadium will receive a full-color PawSox Team Poster suitable for framing. From 5-6 PM before the game, fans will also be allowed on the field for pictures and autographs with their favorite players. On August 30 (Friday), the PawSox will take the field as the Pawtucket Fightin' Quahogs in a name change that pays homage to one of Rhode Island's most famous cuisines. The PawSox will wear caps and jerseys featuring the Fightin' Quahogs logo for the second game of that Friday doubleheader. On August 31 (Saturday), fans can enjoy post-game fireworks set to music from Motown. On September 1 (Sunday), fans can play catch on the field and then run the bases post-game on a Sunday FunDay.
During the homestretch, the PawSox will admit for free children 16 and under. They'll also let "kids run the show" at each game. Parents also have the option to partake of a new "End of Summer Family Bargain" in which they each receive a General Admission ticket, $2 in loaded value (good for food, beverage, or merchandise), and a PawSox cap, all for $12 (a $26 value).
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 24, 2019
- Knights Split Saturday's Twin Bill Against Tides - Charlotte Knights
- Mud Hens Hit Four Home Runs to Beat Clippers - Toledo Mud Hens
- Salt Potatoes Win Streak Ends at Nine After 6-2 Loss to Red Wings - Syracuse Mets
- Waddell, Indians Blank Bats Behind Seven-Run Second - Indianapolis Indians
- Bats Fall to Indians, 7-0 - Louisville Bats
- Big inning for 'Pigs push them past RailRiders for IronRail title - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- IronPigs Clinch IronRail Season Series - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Durham Shuts out Stripers, 3-0 - Gwinnett Stripers
- PawSox's Homers Bury Herd Again, 5-2 - Buffalo Bisons
- Pinto Leads Bulls to Shutout Win - Durham Bulls
- Chavis Helps Slug PawSox to 5-2 Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (63-67) vs. Louisville Bats (53-77) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo vs. Pawtucket (6:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (53-77) at Indianapolis Indians (63-67) - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.