Chasers Stun 'Cakes 7-5 in Ten
The Storm Chasers erased a late four-run deficit with a seven-score spurt thanks in part to home runs from second baseman Taylor Featherston and first baseman Chase d'Arnaud in Omaha's 7-5 extra-inning win over the New Orleans Baby Cakes on Tuesday night at the Shrine on Airline.
New Orleans jumped out to a 3-0 advantage in the fourth courtesy of SS Eddy Alvarez's two-run homer to left-center, followed by LF Rosell Herrera 's solo shot. 1B Yadiel Rivera added a solo blast of his own in the seventh to make it a four-run margin.
The Storm Chasers, however, would begin their comeback effort in the eighth via run-scoring knocks from d'Arnaud and 3B Erich Weiss to make it 4-2. Featherston would then force the extra frame with a game-tying two-run homer in the ninth, before d'Arnaud mashed a three-run shot in the tenth to give Omaha their first and only lead of the night.
d'Arnaud (2-4, R, HR, 4 RBI, BB) and Weiss (2-5, RBI) were joined by RF Jorge Bonifacio (2-5, R) and LF Elier Hernandez (2-5) in recording multi-hit efforts. Kansas City Royals infielder Adalberto Mondesi served as the Storm Chasers' designated hitter in the first game of a Major League Rehab Assignment, reaching base once via a walk in five plate appearances.
Omaha righty Conner Greene (2.0 IP, 2 BB, K) earned his first victory with Omaha, while southpaw Jonathan Dziedzic (1.0 IP, H, R, 0 ER, BB) notched his first save. Baby Cakes righty Nick Neidert (6.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 10 K) did not factor in the decisions despite fanning ten over six scoreless innings, with Brett Graves (2.1 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 4 ER, BB, 3 K) suffering the loss.
The Storm Chasers and Baby Cakes are set to continue their four-game set on Wednesday night, with first pitch scheduled for 6:30pm CT.
Omaha returns to Werner Park to wrap up the 2019 season with a seven-game homestand from August 26 through September 2, hosting Nashville and the Round Rock Express. First pitch of the series opener on Monday, August 26 is set for 7:05pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Chasers Stun 'Cakes 7-5 in Ten - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Quiet Dodgers, 7-2 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Dillard, Guzman Lead Sounds Past Dodgers - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Experiences Setback against San Antonio - Iowa Cubs
- Shaw's a Bear to Handle for the Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds Rally Past Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Drop 5-4 Heartbreaker to Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Dean's Late Heroics Ends Baby Cakes' Slide - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Cueto to Continue Rehab Assignment with River Cats on Monday - Sacramento River Cats
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (58-68) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (59-68) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (60-67) vs Round Rock Express (76-50) - Memphis Redbirds
- Action-Packed Final Homestand Planned at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Missions Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Friday - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Blow out Aces 10-4, Take over First Place - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Stop Rainiers Winning Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats launch four home runs in lopsided win - Sacramento River Cats
- Albuquerque Falls, 9-2, in Sacramento - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Early Lead Falls against Fresno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Drop Sixth Straight to Las Vegas - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- "50 Summers" Selected for 14th Annual Baseball Film Festival at National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- Chasers, USL Omaha Announce Addition of Ryan Querry as Chief Revenue Officer
- Chasers Shut out Express 6-0 in 2019 Finale
- Express Topple Chasers 5-3
- Chasers Halt Express 4-0