Chasers Stun 'Cakes 7-5 in Ten
The Storm Chasers erased a late four-run deficit with a seven-score spurt thanks in part to home runs from second baseman Taylor Featherston and first baseman Chase d'Arnaud in Omaha's 7-5 extra-inning win over the New Orleans Baby Cakes on Tuesday night at the Shrine on Airline.
New Orleans jumped out to a 3-0 advantage in the fourth courtesy of SS Eddy Alvarez's two-run homer to left-center, followed by LF Rosell Herrera 's solo shot. 1B Yadiel Rivera added a solo blast of his own in the seventh to make it a four-run margin.
The Storm Chasers, however, would begin their comeback effort in the eighth via run-scoring knocks from d'Arnaud and 3B Erich Weiss to make it 4-2. Featherston would then force the extra frame with a game-tying two-run homer in the ninth, before d'Arnaud mashed a three-run shot in the tenth to give Omaha their first and only lead of the night.
d'Arnaud (2-4, R, HR, 4 RBI, BB) and Weiss (2-5, RBI) were joined by RF Jorge Bonifacio (2-5, R) and LF Elier Hernandez (2-5) in recording multi-hit efforts. Kansas City Royals infielder Adalberto Mondesi served as the Storm Chasers' designated hitter in the first game of a Major League Rehab Assignment, reaching base once via a walk in five plate appearances.
Omaha righty Conner Greene (2.0 IP, 2 BB, K) earned his first victory with Omaha, while southpaw Jonathan Dziedzic (1.0 IP, H, R, 0 ER, BB) notched his first save. Baby Cakes righty Nick Neidert (6.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 10 K) did not factor in the decisions despite fanning ten over six scoreless innings, with Brett Graves (2.1 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 4 ER, BB, 3 K) suffering the loss.
The Storm Chasers and Baby Cakes are set to continue their four-game set on Wednesday night, with first pitch scheduled for 6:30pm CT.
Omaha returns to Werner Park to wrap up the 2019 season with a seven-game homestand from August 26 through September 2, hosting Nashville and the Round Rock Express. First pitch of the series opener on Monday, August 26 is set for 7:05pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Chasers Stun 'Cakes 7-5 in Ten - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Quiet Dodgers, 7-2 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Dillard, Guzman Lead Sounds Past Dodgers - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Experiences Setback against San Antonio - Iowa Cubs
- Shaw's a Bear to Handle for the Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds Rally Past Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Drop 5-4 Heartbreaker to Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Dean's Late Heroics Ends Baby Cakes' Slide - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Cueto to Continue Rehab Assignment with River Cats on Monday - Sacramento River Cats
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (58-68) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (59-68) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (60-67) vs Round Rock Express (76-50) - Memphis Redbirds
- Action-Packed Final Homestand Planned at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Missions Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Friday - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Blow out Aces 10-4, Take over First Place - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Stop Rainiers Winning Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats launch four home runs in lopsided win - Sacramento River Cats
- Albuquerque Falls, 9-2, in Sacramento - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Early Lead Falls against Fresno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Drop Sixth Straight to Las Vegas - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.