Dean's Late Heroics Ends Baby Cakes' Slide
Austin Dean snapped an eighth-inning tie with a two-out, two-run homer to power the New Orleans Baby Cakes to a 5-3 win over the Omaha Storm Chasers on Wednesday night.
After the 'Cakes blew a lead of at least three runs for the second night in a row, Dean rescued them by driving his 17th home run of the year over the wall in left-center field. It gave Dean a new career high in home runs, surpassing the 16 he hit last year between Jacksonville, New Orleans and Miami.
Kyle Keller worked around a two-out double by Jecksson Flores in the ninth to nail down his team-leading 10th save.
The Baby Cakes stormed out to a 3-0 lead in the opening frame, with Dean driving in the game's first run on a double into the left field corner. A passed ball allowed Chad Wallach to trot in from third, and Yadiel Rivera followed with an RBI single.
Pablo Lopez, making his fifth start on a rehab assignment from the Marlins and second with New Orleans, retired the first seven batters before encountering trouble. He saw at least two batters reach base in each of his next four innings, and Omaha plated a pair of runs in the fourth on singles by Jorge Bonifacio and Erich Weiss.
Though the 'Cakes committed three errors in the game, the defense came through when Lopez needed the help, turning inning-ending double plays to snuff out Storm Chasers rallies in the fifth and sixth. Lopez finished by scattering eight hits in six innings, yielding two runs - one earned - with five strikeouts and no walks.
Omaha finally capitalized on a scoring chance in the top of the eighth, when Chase d'Arnaud drew a one-out walk from Parker Bugg (3-4), stole second base, and scored on a single up the middle by Weiss. The Storm Chasers finished 3-for-14 with runners in scoring position.
New Orleans snapped its season-high four-game losing skid and faces Omaha in the finale of the four-game set on Thursday at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Chasers Stun 'Cakes 7-5 in Ten - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Quiet Dodgers, 7-2 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Dillard, Guzman Lead Sounds Past Dodgers - Nashville Sounds
- Iowa Experiences Setback against San Antonio - Iowa Cubs
- Shaw's a Bear to Handle for the Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Redbirds Rally Past Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Drop 5-4 Heartbreaker to Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Dean's Late Heroics Ends Baby Cakes' Slide - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Cueto to Continue Rehab Assignment with River Cats on Monday - Sacramento River Cats
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (58-68) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (59-68) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 21, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (60-67) vs Round Rock Express (76-50) - Memphis Redbirds
- Action-Packed Final Homestand Planned at Greater Nevada Field - Reno Aces
- Missions Final Regular Season Homestand Begins Friday - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Blow out Aces 10-4, Take over First Place - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bees Stop Rainiers Winning Streak - Salt Lake Bees
- River Cats launch four home runs in lopsided win - Sacramento River Cats
- Albuquerque Falls, 9-2, in Sacramento - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Early Lead Falls against Fresno - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Aces Drop Sixth Straight to Las Vegas - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.