Captains Even Series in Marathon Game
FORT WAYNE, Ind. - The Lake County Captains (Cleveland Indians affiliate) clinched a playoff spot with a 7-4 win over the TinCaps at Parkview Field in front of 7,122 fans on Saturday night. The game was delayed by just over an hour due to rain in the area and lasted 3:49 - the longest game of the season for Fort Wayne.
Lake County (40-28) thundered in front in the top of the first via home runs on consecutive pitches. First, Bo Naylor launched a two-run dinger to right-center field, followed by a solo blast by Will Benson. Naylor is now on a seven-game hitting streak (batting .391 during that time), and Benson leads the Midwest League with 18 home runs this season (two in this series). The Captains tacked on another run in the first to make it a four-run frame.
Fort Wayne (32-35) scored a run in the second on a curious play. Michael Curry singled leading off the inning, followed by a Justin Lopez single that appeared to put two runners on base with nobody out. However, the Captains' starter, Cody Morris, threw the still live baseball into the dugout before the umpire had granted timeout, giving each runner two bases and allowing Curry to score.
The Captains responded in the fifth with a Jose Rolette RBI double that increased their lead back to four at 5-1.
Cody Morris was strong in his start for Lake County, allowing just one run (unearned) in five innings with six strikeouts and one walk. In three starts against Fort Wayne this season, Morris has gone 15.0 total innings and allowed four earned runs (2.40 ERA) with 19 strikeouts.
The TinCaps had a great chance to crawl closer in the sixth when they loaded the bases with one out on singles by Tucupita Marcano and Grant Little plus a Curry walk. Yet, back-to-back strikeouts erased the Fort Wayne threat.
The Captains added to their lead with a single run in the seventh.
Fort Wayne got two runs back in the bottom of the eighth on a Juan Fernandez double that brought home Curry and Lopez.
Lake County completed their scoring on the evening with a lone run in the ninth, as Naylor scored on an RBI single by Mitch Reeves.
The 'Caps made it interesting in the ninth, loading the bases with one out on three walks. Agustin Ruiz brought home one run on a sacrifice fly, but a swinging strikeout ended the game just before midnight.
Sunday, June 15 vs. Lake County (1:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: RHP Gabe Mosser
- Captains Probable Starter: RHP Juan Mota
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Liberatore K's Nine, Witherspoon Has Four Hits in 7-1 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snappers lose heartbreaker to force rubber match tomorrow - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Even Series in Marathon Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Yan, Duensing Combine for One-Hitter Victory - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Crash Party - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Turn the Tables on the Loons, Take a 10-Inning Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Cubs and Whitecaps Washed Away Saturday Night - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Win on Diaz's 2nd Career Walk-Off - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps, Cubs Canceled - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Blown Out in Loss to Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Beat Timber Rattlers 5-0 in Rain-Shortened Affair - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Liberatore Quiets Lugnuts, 7-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bravo & the Bandits Beat Wisconsin 5-0 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels and LumberKings Suspended - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 15 vs. Lake County (Game 67) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bulldogs Co-Captain Talley, Blue Jays' 7th-Rounder, Joins Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Chevy Youth Baseball Clinic June 21 - Registration Is Open - Clinton LumberKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps Come Up Just Short in Series Opener with Cedar Rapids
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 20 vs. Cedar Rapids (Game 96)
- TinCaps Find a Lump of Coal in Their Stocking on Christmas in July Night
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 19 vs. Peoria (Game 95)
- Fort Wayne Gets the Show, and the Greatest Comeback in TinCaps History