Cougars Win on Diaz's 2nd Career Walk-Off
Geneva, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (34-34) walked off for the third time in 2019, beating the Beloit Snappers (27-40) 4-3 on Saturday night at Northwestern Medicine Field. Eduardo Diaz recorded his second career walk-off swing in a Cougar uniform.
Cougar starter Michel Gelabert began the night with three perfect innings. The offense rewarded him with a run in the bottom of the third inning. A one-out error allowed Zac Almond to reach first base. Alek Thomas singled with two outs to put runners at first and third. Eduard Diaz delivered a go-ahead RBI single. The Snappers tied the game on J.J. Schwarz's sacrifice fly in the fourth inning.
The Cougars re-took the lead in the sixth. Back-to-back RBI singles by Zac Almond and Keshawn Lynch made it 3-1 Cougars. The Snappers battled back to even the score in the seventh inning off Cougar reliever Ethan Larrison. Devin Foyle's sacrifice fly made it a one-run game. Max Schuemann scored from third with two outs on a passed ball by Cougar catcher Zac Almond.
In the bottom of the ninth, Almond led off with a double to left. He advanced to third on Keshawn Lynch's sacrifice bunt. The Snappers intentionally walked Alek Thomas. Diaz was the next batter. He drove the ball to centerfield, scoring Almond from third, sending the Cougars into celebration.
Kai-Wei Lin (2-1) earned the win with two innings of perfect relief. Michael Danielak (3-1) tossed three innings and the only run he allowed was Diaz's game-winning sac fly, tagging Danielak with the loss.
The Cougars and Snappers play the rubber game of the three-game set on Sunday afternoon at 1:00 PM. Purchase tickets by calling 630-232-8811 or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Liberatore K's Nine, Witherspoon Has Four Hits in 7-1 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snappers lose heartbreaker to force rubber match tomorrow - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Even Series in Marathon Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Yan, Duensing Combine for One-Hitter Victory - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Crash Party - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Turn the Tables on the Loons, Take a 10-Inning Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Cubs and Whitecaps Washed Away Saturday Night - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Win on Diaz's 2nd Career Walk-Off - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps, Cubs Canceled - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Blown Out in Loss to Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Beat Timber Rattlers 5-0 in Rain-Shortened Affair - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Liberatore Quiets Lugnuts, 7-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bravo & the Bandits Beat Wisconsin 5-0 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels and LumberKings Suspended - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 15 vs. Lake County (Game 67) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bulldogs Co-Captain Talley, Blue Jays' 7th-Rounder, Joins Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Chevy Youth Baseball Clinic June 21 - Registration Is Open - Clinton LumberKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.