Bandits Beat Timber Rattlers 5-0 in Rain-Shortened Affair
Davenport, IA - The Quad Cities River Bandits struck early and heavy storms struck late allowing the Bandits to beat the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers 5-0 in a rain-shortened game Saturday night at Modern Woodmen Park.
The River Bandits (42-23) jumped on Wisconsin starting pitcher Scotty Sunitsch in the bottom of the very first inning. Austin Dennis opened the inning with a single and Jeremy Pena joined him on base with a walk. After a groundout by Michael Wielansky, David Hensley came through with an RBI single to give the Bandits a 1-0 advantage. With runners on the corners, Sunitsch tried a pickoff move to first, but it bounced away and down the right field line, allowing Wielansky to score and the lead to grow to 2-0. Freudis Nova, Orlando Marquez and Carlos Machado also came up with run-scoring base hits before Sunitsch departed after facing the first nine hitters of the game.
The Timber Rattlers (31-37) starter recorded just two outs, allowing five runs, all earned, on five hits and a pair of walks. On the other side, the Bandits Jose Bravo was in command all night. He allowed a one-out single to David Fry in the first inning and then retired the final 16 batters he faced in the game. Bravo struck out seven.
Dennis and Marquez each collected two hits to lead the Bandits. Nova extended his hitting streak to six games with his RBI single.
The River Bandits conclude the first half with one final showdown against the Timber Rattlers on Sunday. First pitch is scheduled for 1:15 p.m. RHP Jose Rivera (1-3, 9.92) will take the hill for the River Bandits against RHP Logan Gillaspie (1-3, 4.05) of Wisconsin. It will be a Hy-Vee Family Sunday at the ballpark with pre-game autographs, kids being allowed to run the bases and catch on the field. There will also be a Bud Mega Fridge Giveaway presented by 7G Distributing.
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 15, 2019
- Liberatore K's Nine, Witherspoon Has Four Hits in 7-1 Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Snappers lose heartbreaker to force rubber match tomorrow - Beloit Snappers
- Captains Even Series in Marathon Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Yan, Duensing Combine for One-Hitter Victory - Burlington Bees
- Dragons Crash Party - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Turn the Tables on the Loons, Take a 10-Inning Victory - Dayton Dragons
- Cubs and Whitecaps Washed Away Saturday Night - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Win on Diaz's 2nd Career Walk-Off - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps, Cubs Canceled - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Chiefs Blown Out in Loss to Burlington - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits Beat Timber Rattlers 5-0 in Rain-Shortened Affair - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Liberatore Quiets Lugnuts, 7-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bravo & the Bandits Beat Wisconsin 5-0 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Kernels and LumberKings Suspended - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 15 vs. Lake County (Game 67) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Bulldogs Co-Captain Talley, Blue Jays' 7th-Rounder, Joins Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dayton Dragons GameDay & Notes for Saturday - Dayton Dragons
- Chevy Youth Baseball Clinic June 21 - Registration Is Open - Clinton LumberKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad Cities River Bandits Stories
- Bandits Now Accepting Valentine's Day Dinner Reservations
- River Bandits to Host Charity Hot Stove Dinner January 29th
- River Bandits Support Save Minor League Baseball Task Force
- Kleinhans-Schulz Hired as Bandits Assistant GM
- Bandits Announce 2020 Schedule