Canucks Sign D-Man and Goalie to PTO's
Abbotsford Canucks General Manager, Ryan Johnson, announced today that the club has signed defenceman Matt Murphy and goalie Joe Murdaca to professional try out agreements.
Murphy, 26, joins Abbotsford from the Fort Wayne Komets of the ECHL, where he recorded 11 points (5-6-11) through 16 games this season. The 6'2, 196-pound defenceman has registered one point (0-1-0) in 10 career AHL contests over the past two seasons with the Chicago Wolves, Belleville Senators and Providence Bruins. After appearing in four games with DVTK Jegesmedvék in Slovakia, Murray made his professional debut in North America with the Komets in 2020-21. Through two seasons with the Komets, the Fredericton, NB product has recorded 24 points (10-14-24) in 49 games. Murphy spent four years with the University of New Brunswick, putting up 63 points (19-44-63) in 116 games with the Reds. Prior to joining the University of New Brunswick, Murphy played five seasons in the QMJHL with the Val-d'Or Foreurs, Halifax Mooseheads, Québec Remparts and Saint John Sea Dogs. He served as the captain during his final season with the Remparts.
Murdaca, 23, joins Abbotsford from the Atlanta Gladiators of the ECHL, where he recorded one victory and a .929 save percentage in one start this season. The 6'3, 187-pound goaltender has appeared in eight career ECHL games over the past three seasons with the Adirondack Thunder, Wheeling Nailers, Cincinnati Cyclones, Kansas City Mavericks and the Atlanta Gladiators. Through his eight appearances in the ECHL, Murdaca has gone 3-2-3 with a .885 save percentage. Prior to turning pro, the Hamilton, ON product appeared in 30 games in the OHL with the Mississauga Steelheads and the Erie Otters. Murdaca posted a record of 14-5-1 with a .892 save percentage across three seasons in the OHL.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2022
- Reign Drop Defensive Battle to Abbotsford - Ontario Reign
- Silovs, Di Giuseppe Lead Canucks Past Reign - Abbotsford Canucks
- Wild Blanked by Admirals, 3-0 - Iowa Wild
- Ingram Backstops Admirals to Shutout Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Reichel and Teply Net Two-Point Games in Matinee Loss to Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Blues Assign Nathan Walker to T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Detroit Returns Three to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Jake Christiansen from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolves Rush Past Rockford - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Edge Senators, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Moose Sign Forward Tyler Boland - Manitoba Moose
- Weekly Report: Noel's Big Night, Daccord's Hot Streak and More - Charlotte Checkers
- Sherwood Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Filip Král Named AHL's Player of the Week - Toronto Marlies
- Toronto's Filip Král Named AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Kaden Fulcher Reassigned to Grand Rapids - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canucks Sign D-Man and Goalie to PTO's - Abbotsford Canucks
- Thunderbirds' Cross Suspended for One Game - AHL
- Wolves Tap Topatigh - Chicago Wolves
- IceHogs Celebrate MLK Day with Matinee Matchup vs. Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Abbotsford Canucks Stories
- Canucks Sign Schmiemann to Two-Year AHL Contract
- Canucks Sign Alfaro to One-Year AHL Contract
- Canucks Sign Kannok Leipert to One-Year AHL Extension
- The Best Inaugural Season Moments: the Joe Murdaca Story
- Abbotsford Canucks Announce 2022.23 Home Opener and Five Special Nights