Cal Petersen Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week
SPRINGFIELD, MA - The American Hockey League announced today that Ontario Reign goaltender Cal Petersen has been selected as the CCM/AHL Player of the Week for the period ending October 6, 2019.
Petersen turned aside 83 of the 85 shots he faced while earning a pair of victories over division rivals to open the 2019-20 season (2-0-0, 0.96, .976).
Petersen, who faced a league-high 38.8 shots per 60 minutes last season, began the year with a 41-save shutout of San Jose on Friday night, backstopping the Reign to a 5-0 victory over the Barracuda. Then on Saturday, Petersen carried a shutout bid into the third period and finished with 42 stops as Ontario earned a 3-2 overtime win at Bakersfield.
Petersen enters his third pro season after making his NHL debut with Los Angeles in 2018-19, posting a record of 5-4-1 with a 2.61 goals-against average and a .924 save percentage in 11 appearances with the Kings. The native of Waterloo, Iowa, is 38-33-5 with a 3.20 GAA, a .905 save percentage and five shutouts in 81 career AHL games with Ontario, and was an AHL All-Star as a rookie in 2018. Petersen was originally selected by Buffalo in the fifth round of the 2013 NHL Draft.
In recognition of being named the CCM/AHL Player of the Week, Petersen will be presented with an etched crystal award prior to an upcoming Reign home game.
The Ontario Reign are under way in the 2019-20 season, their fifth as members of the American Hockey League. For more information on the upcoming season, as well as the 2020 AHL All-Star Classic, to be held in Ontario, visit ontarioreign.com, and to secure your seats with a Reign ticket plan, call 909.941.7825.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 7, 2019
- Manitoba Moose Weekly: October 7 - Manitoba Moose
- Ebert Traded to the Rangers - Belleville Senators
- Red Wings Recall Biega, Kaski, Kuffner and Svechnikov - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolves Insider: Elvenes' Hot Start - Chicago Wolves
- Top 5 Games at CAA Arena - Belleville Senators
- Flyers Reassign Pascal Laberge to Reading - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Defenseman Conor Timmins Assigned to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Wolf Pack Weekly, October 7-13 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- San Jose Barracuda Set to Debut Brand New Promotions During Its October 11th Home Opener - San Jose Barracuda
- Cal Petersen Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Ontario Reign
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Comtois - San Diego Gulls
- Ontario's Cal Petersen Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Don't Miss Bud Light Hog Talk at Skybox Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Abramov Recalled by Ottawa - Belleville Senators
- Felix Sandstrom Reassigned to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.