Blues Sign Prospects; Recall Whitfield
PEORIA, Ill. (March 12, 2009) - St. Louis Blues President John Davidson announced today the club has signed forwards Philip McRae, Anthony Peluso and Brett Sonne.
In a separate transaction, Peoria Rivermen center Trent Whitfield was recalled by the Blues under emergency conditions.
McRae, 18, was drafted by the Blues in the second round, 33rd overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. A native of Minneapolis, Minnesota, McRae has played in 57 games for the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) this season and has registered 60 points (29 goals, 31 assists). He was a member of the Western Conference in this season's OHL All-Star game. McRae played one year of hockey at St. Louis' CBC high school before playing junior. His father Basil played four seasons in St. Louis from 1992-1996.
Peluso, 19, was drafted by the Blues in the sixth round, 160th in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. He has split time this season between the OHL's Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds and the Brampton Battalion and has recorded 35 points (19 goals, 16 assists) in 61 games played. The King City, Ontario is currently 24th in the OHL with 123 penalty minutes.
Sonne, 19, was drafted by the Blues in the third round, 85th overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. A native of Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Sonne has played in 60 games this season with the Calgary Hitmen of the Western Hockey League (WHL), and ranks third in the league in points (97), second in goals (47) and tied for 12th in assists (50).
Whitfield, 31, played in two games for the Blues this season, registering one assist. He has skated in 56 games for the Rivermen this season, collecting 40 points (18 goals, 22 assists) along with 33 penalty minutes. The 5-11, 204-pound forward has played in 176 National Hockey League games, recording 28 points (11 goals, 17 assists) and 97 penalty minutes. The Alameda, Saskatchewan native was originally drafted by Boston in the fourth round, 100th overall in the 1996 Entry Draft.
The Rivermen return home to take on the Quad City Flames on Sunday at 3:00 p.m. It is the final Comcast/Journal Star/Fun on the Run/Coke Family Day of the season. Tickets for children 12 and under will be available for just $1 at the box office. From 2-3p.m. in the Great Hall there will be free balloon animals, face painting and inflatable games and inside the arena, hot dogs, cokes and chips will be available for $1 each. Following the game, kids will have the opportunity to skate with the team.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 12, 2009
- Blues Sign Prospects; Recall Whitfield - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Players to Sign Autographs at Tully's Good Times - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Recall Ryan Huddy From Stockton - Springfield Falcons
- Flames Announce Clear Day Roster - Abbotsford Heat
- Bilingual Wolves Forward to Speak With Students - Chicago Wolves
- River Rats Announce Clear Day Roster - Albany River Rats
- Labatt's Celebrity Bartending Series Continues March 16 at Quaker Steak and Lube - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Loan Right-Winger Chaz Johnson To Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Thrashers Reassign Tomas Pospisil To Albany - Albany River Rats
- Wolf Pack Announce "Clear Day" Playoff Roster - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms Announce Clear Day Roster - Adirondack Phantoms
- Moose, Canucks renew affiliation agreement - Manitoba Moose
- Sound Tigers Announce Clear Day Roster - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Penguins Release Clear Day Roster - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Announce 2009 Clear Day Roster - Worcester Sharks
- Pirates Announce Clear Day Roster - Portland Pirates
- Moose sign Chris St. Croix to PTO - Manitoba Moose
- Florida Panthers Recall Forward Michal Repik - Rochester Americans
- B-Sens Announce 2009 Clear Day Roster - Binghamton Senators
- P-Bruins Announce Clear Day Roster - Providence Bruins
- Houston Aeros announce Clear Day roster - Houston Aeros
- Goaltender Fallon Reassigned To Gwinnett - Rockford IceHogs
- IceHogs Announce Clear Day Roster - Rockford IceHogs
- Rivermen Announce Clear Day Roster - Peoria Rivermen
- Aeros sign veteran Tony Hrkac - Houston Aeros
- Bears announce 2009 Clear Day roster - Hershey Bears
- Bulldogs Announce Clear Day Roster - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Monarchs Announce Clear Day Roster - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks Announce 2008-09 Clear Day Roster - Rochester Americans
- Rampage Announce Clear Day Roster - San Antonio Rampage
- Wolves Trim Roster - Chicago Wolves
- Moose finalize Clear Day Roster - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Set Playoff Roster - Chicago Wolves
- Griffins Announce Clear Day Roster - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Release Clear Day Roster - Norfolk Admirals
- Amerks And Knighthawks To Participate In St. Patrick's Day Parade - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Announce Details of March 14 Turning Stone Fan Appreciation Night - Syracuse Crunch
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.