BlueClaws Drop Series Opener 2-0 to Crawdads
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Erik Swanson threw five scoreless innings and a two-run home run by Andy Ibanez held up as the only two runs of a 2-0 Hickory win on Thursday night at FirstEnergy Park.
The Crawdads (30-23) took the first game of the three game series from the BlueClaws (20-33), who have now lost three straight games and fall to 13-games under .500 for the first time this year.
Hickory got the game's lone two runs on a two-run home run off the bat of Andy Ibanez in the fourth inning that went right down the left field line and just hooked around the left field pole. It was Ibanez's fifth home run of the season.
BlueClaws starter Franklyn Kilome (1-5) gave up just those two runs over 5.1 innings, walking five and striking out three.
Hickory meanwhile, used three pitchers - Swanson for five innings, Wes Benjamin for 3.2 innings, and John Werner for the final out - in shutting out the BlueClaws. Werner came into the game with two outs in the ninth inning and struck out Jose Pujols to end the game and earn his fourth save. Swanson earned the win to improve to 4-1.
Luis Morales threw 2.2 scoreless innings for the BlueClaws while Sutter McLoughlin threw a scoreless ninth. Wilson Garcia led the offense with two hits.
The series with Hickory continues on Friday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Drew Anderson (0-1) starts for Lakewood against RHP Dillon Tate (1-2).
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 2, 2016
- Drive Top Tourists 5-2 in Series Opener - Greenville Drive
- Beer City Tourists Drop Series Opener - Asheville Tourists
- Ibanez Powers Crawdads to 2-0 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- RiverDogs Shutout, 1-0, in One-Hit Wonder by Kannapolis - Charleston RiverDogs
- Wilson Shines in Series Opener - Columbia Fireflies
- Intimidators Survive Being 1-Hit in Shutout Win - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- GreenJackets Fall To Power 4-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- BlueClaws Drop Series Opener 2-0 to Crawdads - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power Tops Augusta 4-1 - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds and Grasshoppers Postponed - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Rained Out; Doubleheader Friday 5:35 p.m. - Lexington Legends
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 2 vs. Hagerstown (Game 54) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs, Charleston Recreation Department Join in MLB & USA Baseball's 'PLAY BALL' Initiative - Charleston RiverDogs
- Coluccio Released, Graham Joins Delmarva - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Organize Youth Baseball Skills Camps - Columbia Fireflies
- WV Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- C Daniel Gonzalez Joins Intimidators - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Delmarva Shorebirds Game Notes for June 2, 2016 - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.