Drive Top Tourists 5-2 in Series Opener
Asheville, NC - In the opening game of a crucial road series, the Greenville Drive took the lead in the middle innings and never looked back in a 5-2 win over the Asheville Tourists on Thursday night.
With the score tied 1-1 in the fifth, the Drive (27-26) received leadoff walks from Luis Alejandro Basabe and Tate Matheny, and they both advanced 90 feet on a deep flyout by Josh Ockimey. Kyri Washington followed with a triple to right field off Juan Pena (2-3) to score both runners and give the Drive the lead. A sacrifice fly by Mitchell Gunsolus tacked on a third run in the frame.
The Tourists (26-26) got a run back on a sacrifice fly by Sam Hilliard in the bottom of the fifth, but Matheny added an insurance run in the top of the seventh with a solo homer, his third of the season, to make the score 5-2.
In his first start with the Drive in 2016, Dedgar Jimenez (1-0) got the victory by holding the Tourists to just one earned run over five innings. Anyelo Leclerc followed with four dominant innings of relief, which included six strikeouts, to pick up his third save.
Following first-inning singles by Mylz Jones and Brian Mundell, Yonathan Daza squeezed home Jones from third to put the Tourists ahead 1-0.
The Drive got on the board in the third on an RBI groundout by Matheny that scored Basabe, who singled, stole second and advanced to third on an error.
Washington led the Greenville offense with three hits and two RBI, while Matheny drove home a pair of runs and Trenton Kemp picked up a pair of hits. Jones had three hits to lead Asheville.
Game two of the three-game series begins at 7:05 PM on Friday night in Asheville. Left-hander Logan Boyd (5-4, 5.80) takes the mound for the Drive, and left-hander Jack Wynkoop (6-2, 3.52) starts on the hill for the Tourists.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from June 2, 2016
- Drive Top Tourists 5-2 in Series Opener - Greenville Drive
- Beer City Tourists Drop Series Opener - Asheville Tourists
- Ibanez Powers Crawdads to 2-0 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- RiverDogs Shutout, 1-0, in One-Hit Wonder by Kannapolis - Charleston RiverDogs
- Wilson Shines in Series Opener - Columbia Fireflies
- Intimidators Survive Being 1-Hit in Shutout Win - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- GreenJackets Fall To Power 4-1 - Augusta GreenJackets
- BlueClaws Drop Series Opener 2-0 to Crawdads - Jersey Shore BlueClaws
- Power Tops Augusta 4-1 - West Virginia Power
- Shorebirds and Grasshoppers Postponed - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Rained Out; Doubleheader Friday 5:35 p.m. - Lexington Legends
- Fireflies Game Notes: June 2 vs. Hagerstown (Game 54) - Columbia Fireflies
- RiverDogs, Charleston Recreation Department Join in MLB & USA Baseball's 'PLAY BALL' Initiative - Charleston RiverDogs
- Coluccio Released, Graham Joins Delmarva - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Fireflies Organize Youth Baseball Skills Camps - Columbia Fireflies
- WV Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
- C Daniel Gonzalez Joins Intimidators - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Delmarva Shorebirds Game Notes for June 2, 2016 - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- West End Events at Fluor Field Unveils Fresh Look
- Step up to the Plate at Fluor Field on October 3
- Waldrop Inc. Announced as the Official HVAC & Plumbing Provider of the Greenville Drive
- Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering Event at the Drive Goes Virtual
- Drive Already Looking Forward to Next Year, Debut New Ticket Plan Options