Blazers Select Goalie Anthony Cosmo in NLL Dispersal Draft
BOSTON (December 12, 2009) - The Boston Blazers (www.blazerslacrosse.com) continued to strengthen their roster in preparation for the start of the 2009 season by selecting Anthony Cosmo, one of the National Lacrosse League's (NLL) top goaltenders, as the first pick of a special NLL Dispersal Draft held today. In the second round, the team acquired forward Geoff Griffiths and selected defenseman Carter Livingstone with its final pick in the third round. The additions of Cosmo, Griffiths and Livingstone increases the Blazers' pre-season roster to 30 players with team expecting to finalize its 2009 regular season roster in the coming week.
Cosmo is an eight-year veteran of the NLL and three-time NLL All-Star, playing in 111 regular season games with a career average of 10.67 goals against average (GAA) and .780 save percentage. He played the last four seasons for the San Jose Stealth helping to lead the team to a Western Division regular season title in 2007-2008. He was traded to the Chicago Shamrox this offseason.
"Anthony Cosmo is one of the NLL's best goalies and a proven difference maker in this league," said Tom Ryan, Blazers Head Coach and General Manager. "The combination of Cosmo with Mike Poulin gives us one of the strongest goalie tandems in the NLL."
Cosmo made his NLL debut with the Toronto Rock in 2001, where he played for four seasons, before being traded to San Jose. While with San Jose, Cosmo was selected as the starting goalie for the Western Division in both the 2005 and 2006 NLL All-Star Games and in 2005 finished fifth in the league with a 12.28 GAA, and third in league in 2006 with a 10.38 GAA. In 2007, Cosmo led the league in both goals against average (10.22) and save percentage (.792), and was awarded the Progressive Goaltender of the Year award for his efforts. Griffiths was selected as the second round draft choice (19th pick) of the Chicago Shamrock in the 2008 NLL draft. As a three-year starter at Bellarmine University, he finished his collegiate career as the school's leader in groundballs. Livingstone is a four-year veteran of the NLL, registering 10 assists in 47 career games playing for Chicago and Rochester.
"Geoff Griffiths is someone we have been interested in for some time," continued Ryan. "He plays hard and has a great attitude. Carter Livingstone is a veteran lefty defender. Competition to make the final roster is going to be tough and the addition of Carter should make our final decisions even more difficult."
The expansion Boston Blazers will make their NLL debut on January 10, 2009, at New York before playing their historic home opener on January 17 at the TD Banknorth Garden against the New York Titans.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from December 12, 2008
- Buffalo Bandits Acquire Thomas Montour From Calgary - Buffalo Bandits
- Minnesota Swarm Announces Revised 2009 NLL Schedule, Selects Two Players in Dispersal Draft - Minnesota Swarm
- Portland Acquires Leveille in Dispersal Draft - Portland Lumberjax
- Wings Acquire Giles in Dispersal Draft - Philadelphia Wings
- Rush Acquire Rights To Self, Crawford, Gibson - NLL Announce Schedule Changes - Edmonton Rush
- Portland LumberJax Revised 2009 Schedule - Portland Lumberjax
- Knighthawks Acquire Four in Dispersal Draft - Rochester Knighthawks
- Colorado Mammoth Picks Up Self in Dispersal Draft - Colorado Mammoth
- Blazers Select Goalie Anthony Cosmo in NLL Dispersal Draft - Boston Blazers
- Toronto Rock Acquire Bill McGlone and Josh Wasson - Toronto Rock
- Roughnecks Acquire First Round Selection in 2010 Entry Draft - Calgary Roughnecks
- Knighthawks Release New Schedule - Rochester Knighthawks
- Buffalo Bandits Acquire Rights to Cody Jacobs and Cory Stringer - Buffalo Bandits
- Cosmo Selected First in Dispersal Draft - NLL
- National Lacrosse League Announces Revised 2009 Season Schedule - NLL
- Alberta Heats up this Saturday in Red Reer - Calgary Roughnecks
- Rush Play Rivals On Neutral Floor - Edmonton Rush
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals