Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
Boston, MA - The Boston Blazers traveled to the HSBC Arena in Buffalo, NY tonight to take on the Buffalo Bandits in the Eastern Divisional Semifinals before a crowd of 11,273 fans. Despite a fourth quarter rally, Boston's season of high expectations ended with a final score of 11-10.
Buffalo's Mark Steenhuis knocked in the first net of the night from a John Tavares and Tom Montour assist. The Blazers scored their first of the night on the power play when Jamie Rooney made a dive to the goal off an assist from Boston's captain Dan Dawson.
The second quarter began with two straight goals by Tavares and Roger Vyse giving the Bandits a 4-1 lead. Nick Cotter and Casey Powell would each score to bring the Blazers within two but another two goals by Tracey Kelusky and Chad Culp would give the Bandits a 7-4 lead at the half.
Powell would open the second half at the 14:04 mark with a bomb from the outside to bring the Blazers within two but Vyse would net his fourth of the evening to hold the Bandits lead. Down by four going into the fourth quarter, Boston looked hungry for a comeback and began to rebound as Dawson scored two straight followed by another net by Powell to bring the Blazers within one. With only 1:47 remaining on the clock, Boston's Kevin Buchanan scored his first of the evening to tie the score, 10-10.
Buffalo however could not be beat as Tavares fooled the Blazers defense and scored the game winner with just 40 seconds remaining in the game.
The Bandits were led by Vyse with four goals and two assists and Tavares who had three goals and four assists. Boston's Powell completed the evening with four goals and two assists while Dawson finished with two goals and six assists. Buffalo's goaltender Mike Thompson recorded 42 saves on 52 shots on goal. Blazers Anthony Cosmo defended 29 saves on 40 shots on goal.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from April 30, 2011
- Washington Stealth Advances To West Finals With 14-8 Win In Minnesota - Washington Stealth
- Mammoth Fall In West Division Semifinal - Colorado Mammoth
- Swarm lose 14-8 at home - Minnesota Swarm
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo - Boston Blazers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals