Blades Tame Grizzlies 5-2
ESTERO, Fla. - The Everblades combined five different scorers on Wednesday night as they cruised past the Utah Grizzlies in their lone meeting of the 2021-22 season.
The Everblades began the game on a sour note, allowing a shorthanded goal from Utah's Charle-Edouard D'Astous 3:52 into the action. D'Astous swatted in his rebound after an initial shot in front of the net from Ben Tardif. Blake Winiecki tied the game at 11:21 of the first period for his 100th goal in a Blades uniform. Another Florida milestone was achieved shortly after when Alex Aleardi (12:34) converted on a pass through center ice to notch his 400th career point. The Blades carried their 2-1 lead through the remainder of the period.
Avery Peterson continued his red-hot month with the Everblades, finding the twine for his third time in as many games after just 89 seconds of the middle stanza. Aleardi picked up an assist on the play as the Blades extended their advantage at 3-1. The teams traded power-play goals between Utah's Trey Bradley (17:02) and Joe Pendenza of the Everblades (18:08) to bolster the score to 4-2 Florida at the second intermission.
With 10:45 to spare in regulation, Stephen Desrocher's blast from the near circle made it a 5-2 game. This marked his first pro goal and first in his Everblades tenure was assisted by John McCarron and Jake Jaremko. That was the final highlight of the game as the Blades concluded the evening with their three-goal lead. The prosperous night improved the Everblades record to 21-11-3-3 while Utah's setback placed them at 25-13-1-1. Goaltender Cam Johnson stopped 24 of 26 shots for his seventh win of the season.
The Everblades will conclude the week with a three-game road trip beginning on Friday night against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 pm and the game will be covered on FloHockey.TV as well as ESPN Southwest Florida on 770 AM, 98.1 FM, 104.3 FM and online at https://espnswfl.com.
The next home game for the Blades will take place on Saturday, February 5 when the Orlando Solar Bears come to Estero for Beach Night courtesy of Molly Moo's Ice Cream at Hertz Arena. Be one of the first people here to secure your Everblades beach bag as a giveaway! Every Saturday night Blades home game starts with a tailgate, and live music will be performed by James Prather from 5-7 pm!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 26, 2022
- Cyclones Drop First Home Game of 2022 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Everblades Defeat Grizzlies 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Lekkas Lights out in Cincinnati - Wheeling Nailers
- Macdonald's Hat-Trick Powers Rabbits Past Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Stingrays Can't Overcome Early Deficit - South Carolina Stingrays
- Blades Tame Grizzlies 5-2 - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - January 26 - ECHL
- Chicago Assigns Brickley and Wells to Norfolk - Norfolk Admirals
- Thunder Sign Veteran D-Man Guillaume Lepine - Adirondack Thunder
- Steelheads Sign Forward Willie Knierim, Claim Defenseman Ryan Orgel - Idaho Steelheads
- Dmowski Rejoins Stingrays; Colella Traded - South Carolina Stingrays
- Christian Evers Called up to AHL San Jose - Rapid City Rush
- Game Notes: at Allen - Rapid City Rush
- Grizzlies Gameday - Utah Grizzlies
- Growlers Make First-Ever Visit to Wichita Tonight - Wichita Thunder
- Morning Tea: Swamp Rabbits vs Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Day Preview: Americans Host Rapid City, 7:05 PM CST - Allen Americans
- Everblades Ready to Bag Grizzlies - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Johnson's Fourth Shutout and Solow's Game-Winner Propel Everblades to 2-0 Lead in Eastern Conference Finals
- Everblades Gunning for 2-0 Series Lead in Eastern Conference Finals
- Solow's OT Winner Lifts Everblades to Game One Victory as Ralph Claims ECHL Playoff Wins Record
- Everblades Open Eastern Conference Finals in Newfoundland
- Everblades to Face Growlers in 2022 Eastern Conference Finals