Bernier Agrees to One-Year Deal
BROOKLYN - The Ne w York Islanders announced today that Steve Bernier has agreed to terms on a one-year, two-way (NHL/AHL) deal.
Bernier, 31, scored six points (one goal, five assists) in 24 games with the Islanders last season. He also appeared in six Stanley Cup Playoff games as the Islanders advanced to the second round.
In 2014-15, Bernier tied his career high with 32 points (16 goals, 16 assists) in 67 games during his fourth year with the New Jersey Devils. The 30 year-old from Quebec City played in all 24 games during New Jersey's run to the 2012 Stanley Cup Final.
In 633 career NHL games with the Islanders, Devils, Florida Panthers, Vancouver Canucks, Buffalo Sabres and San Jose Sharks, Bernier has registered 230 points (105 goals, 125 assists). Bernier has 23 points (nine goals, 14 assists) in 74 career Stanley Cup Playoff games with the Islanders, Devils, Canucks and Sharks.
Bernier has appeared in 85 career American Hockey League games with the Albany Devils, Worcester Sharks and Cleveland Barons, totaling 61 points (27 goals, 34 assists). The Sharks originally drafted Bernier in the first round, 16 th overall at the 2003 NHL Draft.
Before playing professionally, Bernier scored 313 points (151 goals, 162 assists) in 271 games during four seasons with the Moncton Wildcats of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. The Wildcats selected Bernier with the first overall pick at the 2001 QMJHL Entry Draft. The league named Bernier to its Second All-Star Team in 2003 and 2004 and to its All-Rookie Team in 2002.
Internationally, Bernier won a Gold Medal with Team Canada at the 2003 IIHF World U18 Championship in Russia. During the tournament, Bernier finished second on his team in scoring with eight points (four goals, four assists) in seven games.
Next Time Out: The Sound Tigers conclude a three-game road trip next Friday with a 7:05 p.m. puck drop against the Springfield Thunderbirds at MassMutual Center. Fans can follow all of the action online via AHLlive.com .
Storm Team Mascot Garden Gnome Giveaway: Be one of the first 2,000 fans next Saturday, October 29 and receive a free Storm garden gnome courtesy of Buckle Up Connecticut. Plus, receive $2.00 off your game ticket at the box office when you show your AAA Membership Card.
For additional details or to reserve seats for any of the 2016-17 giveaway and theme nights, please call the Sound Tigers' front office at (203) 345-2300.
Executive suites and premium seat packages are also available by calling the team's front office at (203) 345-4841. If you are interested in group outings with your friends, family, co-workers, or clients an unforgettable experience at a discounted rate, call the group sales hotline at (203) 345-2300 Ext. 7.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 24, 2016
- History Is Made at Ontario Reign Game with First-Ever Father-Son - Ontario Reign
- RAMPAGE WEEKLY UPDATE- October 24 - San Antonio Rampage
- Avalanche Recalls Mikko Rantanen - San Antonio Rampage
- TEXAS STARS MEDIA RELEASE - Dallas Stars Recall Justin Dowling - Texas Stars
- Canucks Recall Jayson Megna and Troy Stecher from the Comets - Utica Comets
- Week 2 Recap: Three Games, Three Straight Wins for Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Ricoh Rock Report #2 - St. John's IceCaps
- Bernier Agrees to One-Year Deal - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Sabres Recall Ullmark - Rochester Americans
- Reign Add Goaltender Troy Redmann; Release Dusty Imoo - Ontario Reign
- Ottawa Senators Assign Phil Varone to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Wolf Pack Weekly, October 24-30 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Albany Devils Today -- October 24, 2016 - Albany Devils
- Manitoba Moose Weekly - October 24, 2016 - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks, University of Rochester Partner to Offer Employee Discount - Rochester Americans
- Ontario Reign Weekly: Reign Travel to Texas to Open a Five-Game Road - Ontario Reign
- St. John's Forward Sven Andrighetto Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - St. John's IceCaps
- TEXAS STARS MEDIA RELEASE - Texas Stars Weekly - Texas Stars
- Syracuse Crunch to Participate in Wednesday Walk October 26 - Syracuse Crunch
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- NCAA 2023 Division I Men's Hockey Regionals Coming to City of Bridgeport and Webster Bank Arena
- Czarnik and Hutton Agree to Two-Year Deals
- Former Sound Tigers Pushed New York Islanders to Deep Playoff Run
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers to Host Free Virtual Youth Hockey Coaching Clinic
- Sound Tigers Hit Long Island for NHL's Return to Play