Baysox Split Doubleheader with Squirrels
BOWIE, Md. - The Bowie Baysox and the Richmond Flying Squirrels split a midweek doubleheader in front of 2,110 at Prince George's Stadium Tuesday evening.
GAME 1 : Richmond - 4, Baysox - 2
The visitors jumped on top out of the gate, scoring a pair of runs on a Zach Houchins double and a Jacob Heyward sacrifice fly. Jalen Miller added to the lead in the second inning, launching his 10th home run of the season to extend the margin to 3-0. Joey Bart sent his first career Double-A home run to the trees in left field to tack on another run in the fifth inning.
The hosts cracked the scoreboard with a run in the fifth inning, cutting the deficit to 4-1. Anderson Feliz lined a one-out double down the right field line for his 15th Double-A RBI of the season, plating Mason McCoy, who reached on a leadoff single up the middle.
Carlos Perez sparked the rally effort in the bottom of the seventh inning, lining a double over the head of center fielder Bryce Johnson to score Cedric Mullins, who led off with a walk against Squirrels reliever Tyler Cyr.
Despite the loss, Alex Wells settled in during the middle innings. The lefty allowed four runs on five hits in six innings of work, retiring 15 of the final 18 batters faced, and completing at least 6 innings for the 12th time in 20 starts this season. LHP Tyler Erwin recorded a perfect seventh inning as the lone Bowie reliever in game one of the doubleheader.
GAME 2 : Baysox - 2, Richmond - 0
The twinbill nightcap started as a bullpen pitcher's duel, but the Baysox took their first lead of the evening with a run in the third inning. With one out, Willy Yahn crushed a line-drive double off the left field wall and advanced to scoring position on a Ryan Halstead wild pitch. Cedric Mullins drove him home on a sacrifice fly to right field for his 10th RBI with the Baysox.
Bowie got an insurance run in the sixth inning, extending their final margin to 2-0. Jesse Valentin took the first pitch from Garrett Williams up the middle for a RBI single, scoring Ryan McKenna after entering as a pinch-runner following a two-out double by Carlos Perez.
On the mound, Steven Klimek tossed three scoreless frames in his first starting appearance at the Double-A level. The right struck out five of his 10 batters faced, getting the help of a 5-4-3 double play to erase a 2nd-inning walk. Zach Muckenhirn tossed a pair of scoreless to earn the win, while Luis Gonzalez and Cristian Alvarado combined for the final two frames.
Bowie and Richmond continue their midweek series Wednesday night at 7:05 p.m., when RHP Mike Baumann (2-2, 2.23) looks to rebound from his last home start against Squirrels RHP Brandon Lawson (5-7, 3.79). Wednesday is another Military Appreciation Night, where all military members get a half-price box seat by showing their ID at the box office.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 13, 2019
- Squirrels Split Tuesday Double-Header with Baysox - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- SeaWolves Chew Up Fightins in First Trip to Erie - Reading Fightin Phils
- Erie Plates 10 in Series Opener Win against Reading - Erie SeaWolves
- Slugfest on City Island Goes to Senators, 13-10 - Altoona Curve
- Baysox Split Doubleheader with Squirrels - Bowie Baysox
- Rehabbing Indians Power RubberDucks over Trenton - Akron RubberDucks
- Ponies Split Pair of Low-Scoring Games with Fisher Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder Can't Duck Indians Rehabbers in 8-1 Defeat - Trenton Thunder
- Two Big Innings Lifts Sens - Harrisburg Senators
- Yard Goats Take the Opener, 7-2 from the 'Dogs - Portland Sea Dogs
- Steamed Cheeseburgers Win as Good as Gold - Hartford Yard Goats
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Reading Fightin Phils - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Limited Tickets Remaining for Tonight's Game (7:05 p.m. vs. Trenton) - Akron RubberDucks
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup vs. Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 13th at Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #118/119: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (24-29, 59-58) vs. New Hampshire Fisher Cats (20-31, 51-57) - 5:35PM (DH) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Akron RubberDucks Homestand Highlights (August 13-15) - Akron RubberDucks
- Hip-Hop Legend Kurtis Blow Returns to Perform at Dunkin' Donuts Park - Hartford Yard Goats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bowie Baysox Stories
- Major League Baseball Cancels 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Due to Pandemic
- Bowie Baysox Hosting MEGA Chicken Truckload Sale
- Bowie Baysox Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Baysox to Postpone FunFest
- 2020 Baysox Season Delayed Due to Coronavirus