Battle-Tested Long Island Splits Series with Fort Wayne
LONG ISLAND - The Long Island Nets (4-5), the NBA G League affiliate of the Brooklyn Nets, defeated the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (2-3) 115-112 on Thursday night at Nassau Coliseum.
Long Island forward Brandon Rachal had a strong game for the Nets, tallying 24 points, eight rebounds and two assists while shooting 10-of-15 from the field in 37 minutes. Nets forward Craig Randall II and Nets guard Bryce Brown notched 22 points each. Randall II also recorded six rebounds and seven assists in 44 minutes, while Brown added seven rebounds and two assists in 36 minutes.
Long Island was unable to get into a groove to start the match, trailing Fort Wayne by as many as five points in the opening minutes of the first quarter. The Nets were able find their feet to close the period ahead by one, 35-34. Although the two teams tied the match five times in the second quarter, Fort Wayne's effort was not strong enough to take the lead. Long Island went into the half up by two, 65-63.
The Mad Ants sought redemption after the break, but it never came. The Nets continued their strong performance into the final quarter of play ahead by three, 88-85. Long Island led by as many as 10 points in the fourth quarter to defeat the Mad Ants, 115-112.
Fort Wayne's effort was led by forward Justin Anderson, who tallied 24 points, eight rebounds and two assists in 39 minutes. Mad Ants forward Nate Hinton recorded 18 points, nine rebounds and three assists in 35 minutes.
The Nets will play their next game at home against NBA G League Ignite on Sunday, Jan. 23, at 1 p.m. ET, while the Mad Ants will play their next game on the road against Grand Rapids on Saturday, Jan. 22, at 7 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 20, 2022
- Charge Come up Short in Mississauga - Cleveland Charge
- Battle-Tested Long Island Splits Series with Fort Wayne - Long Island Nets
- Gold Lose Tough One to Motor City 113-98 - Grand Rapids Gold
- Windy City Bulls Can't Hang with Maine - Windy City Bulls
- Maine Celtics Bounce Back, Blow out Bulls - Maine Celtics
- Stars to Host Lakers at Bruin Arena on February 15 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Long Island Nets Reacquire Talib Zanna - Long Island Nets
- Series Preview: at Kings - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- NBA G League Announces Charge Schedule Update - Cleveland Charge
- Knicks Blast Celtics 126-99 for Second Straight Home Victory - Westchester Knicks
- Nix Catapults Vipers to the Top - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stars Sweep Two-Game Set against Hustle - Salt Lake City Stars
- Legends' Streak Cut Short in OKC - Texas Legends
- Vipers too Much for Spurs - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.