Nix Catapults Vipers to the Top
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (2-3), NBA G league affiliate of the Houston Rockets, defeated the Austin Spurs (1-2) 112-100 on Wednesday night upon their return to the Bert Ogden Arena.
The Vipers offense took ahold of the first quarter as they shut down Austin to a score of 43-21. At the end of the second quarter RGV maintained a 23-point lead over the Spurs sending the game to halftime with a score of 67-44. However, the Spurs defense shut down the Vipers offense in the third quarter by allowing them to only score 19 points. Austin would go on to score 29 points narrowing RGVs lead to 86-71. In the fourth quarter the Spurs would once again outscore the Vipers, but it was not enough for Austin as RGV pulled away with a 112-100 win.
Houston Rockets two-way player Daishen Nix finished the night as the games lead scorer with 34 points, eight rebounds, four rebounds and five steals. Gerald Green racked up 24 points and six steals. Christian Vital came off the bench for the Vipers and scored 18 points for the night. Houston Rockets assignee Usman Garuba posted a double-double with 10 points and 14 rebounds.
San Antonio Spurs two-way player Devontae Cacock reached a double-double with 21 points and 11 rebounds. Anthony Matias followed closely with 20 points. Aric Holman also obtained a double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds. Kaleb Johnson and San Antonio Spurs two-way Joshua Primo both finished the night with 12 points.
The Vipers return to action at the Bert Ogden Arena on Friday, January 21 with tip-off set at 7:30 pm CST against Salt Lake City Stars www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 20, 2022
- Charge Come up Short in Mississauga - Cleveland Charge
- Battle-Tested Long Island Splits Series with Fort Wayne - Long Island Nets
- Gold Lose Tough One to Motor City 113-98 - Grand Rapids Gold
- Windy City Bulls Can't Hang with Maine - Windy City Bulls
- Maine Celtics Bounce Back, Blow out Bulls - Maine Celtics
- Stars to Host Lakers at Bruin Arena on February 15 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Long Island Nets Reacquire Talib Zanna - Long Island Nets
- Series Preview: at Kings - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- NBA G League Announces Charge Schedule Update - Cleveland Charge
- Knicks Blast Celtics 126-99 for Second Straight Home Victory - Westchester Knicks
- Nix Catapults Vipers to the Top - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Stars Sweep Two-Game Set against Hustle - Salt Lake City Stars
- Legends' Streak Cut Short in OKC - Texas Legends
- Vipers too Much for Spurs - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers to Host Women's Empowerment Seminar
- Queen and Lamb Named to All-NBA G League Teams
- Vipers Crowned 2022 NBA G League Champions
- Vipers Clinch Win over Delaware in First Game of the G League Finals
- Best in the West: Vipers Crowned Western Conference Champions