Barracuda Shutout Griffs 4-0
Grand Rapids, MI - The San Jose Barracuda (24-8-2-3) kicked off their three-game road trip with a 4-0 win on Friday night at the Van Andel Arena over the Grand Rapids Griffins (24-143-4) (Detroit Red Wings). The win extended San Jose's point streak to four games (3-0-1-0) and snapped Grand Rapids' seven-game home point streak and three-game winning streak overall.
In the victory, Josef Korenar (15-3-1) steered away all 29 Griffs shots to earn his third shutout of the season and hand GR their first shutout since October 6 at San Antonio and their first shutout loss at home since November 3, 2017, vs. Chicago.
After a scoreless first period that saw Grand Rapids outshoot San Jose 12-to-five, the Barracuda opened up the scoring in the second as Max Letunov (9) poked in a loose puck from close range after San Jose won an offensive-zone draw at 3:38. Jayden Halbgewachs assisted on Letunov's tally and then set up Manny Wiederer (9) on a tape-to-tape stretch pass that sprung the German native on a breakaway and Wiederer beat Patrik Rybar through the five-hole at 7:50. Jon Martin (7) completed the unanswered three-goal second as he snapped a short-side shot in at 16:05.
In the third, Nick DeSimone added onto San Jose's lead by walking the blue line and sniping a wrister short side from the point on the power play at 10:58.
Rybar (10-7-5) suffered the loss after allowing four goals on 26 San Jose shots.
The Barracuda and Griffins square off again on Saturday before both clubs hit the AHL All-Star break. Listen live to Saturday's game beginning at 3:30 p.m. PT on AM 1220 KDOW, the Sharks + SAP Center app and watch on #AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 25, 2019
- Komm Races to Lehigh Valley for First AHL Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Stars Cool the Heat in Thrilling 5-4 Victory - Texas Stars
- Admirals Offense Stifled by Wild - Milwaukee Admirals
- Barracuda Blank Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stockton Comeback Falls Short in 5-4 Defeat - Stockton Heat
- Crunch Trounce Thunderbirds, 6-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Late OT Goal Downs Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Win 5-3 on Military Night - Providence Bruins
- Devils Win OT Thriller in Comeback Fashion, 3-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Barracuda Shutout Griffs 4-0 - San Jose Barracuda
- Bean Scores Twice But Checkers Fall to Bruins - Charlotte Checkers
- Kulbakov's 48 Stops Help Comets To Point In Rochester - Utica Comets
- T-Birds Power Play Can't Save Them in Syracuse - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Penguins Release Will O'Neill - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Release Steve Johnson from Tryout Agreement - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch to Host Crunch at Your Service at Turning Stone Resort Casino March 11 - Syracuse Crunch
- Rochester's Guhle Added to Roster for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Rochester's Brendan Guhle Added to American Hockey League All-Star Roster - Rochester Americans
- T-Birds Conclude First Half in Syracuse & Providence this Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Heat Start Texas Swing with Stars Tonight - Stockton Heat
- Surge Towards Spring with the Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.