Barons Exact Revenge on Stars 6-2
OKLAHOMA CITY, OK - Reilly Smith scored two goals, but the Oklahoma City Barons tallied four first period goals on their way to a 6-2 win over the Texas Stars on Saturday night at Cox Convention Center.
The Barons exploded in the first period, unleashing a lot of pent up frustration from Friday's shutout win by Texas. Justin Schultz opened the scoring at 3:34 and was quickly followed with a power play goal by Taylor Hall 88 seconds later as Oklahoma City rushed out to a 2-0 lead. Schultz continued the onslaught at 12:03 with a backhander over Cristopher Nilstorp for his second goal of the night and 16th of the season. Tanner House completed the Barons' blitzkrieg at 19:11, snapping a wrist shot under the blocker of Nilstorp to give Oklahoma City a 4-0 lead.
Jack Campbell replaced Nilstorp in the Stars net to start the second period. Tyler Pitlick gave the Barons a five-goal lead at 9:42 as he capitalized on a rebound off Campbell's glove and fired it home for his first goal of the season. Reilly Smith continued his hot streak by scoring his ninth goal of the season at 15:20, assisted by Patrik Nemeth and Colton Sceviour, to put Texas on the scoreboard.
Smith then scored his second of the game, and tenth of the year, 37 seconds into the third period when his shot redirected off a Barons defenseman and into the net for a power play goal. Mark Arcobello extinguished any hopes of a Stars comeback at 11:30, beating Campbell with a one-timer from the blue line to cap off the scoring in a 6-2 Oklahoma City win.
Yann Danis stopped 39-of-41 shots faces to record his 11th win of the season in goal for the Barons, while Cristopher Nilstorp took the loss, making 10 saves on 14 shots in 20 minutes of action. Jack Campbell had 20 saves on 22 shots in 40 minutes of relief for Texas. The Stars out-shot Oklahoma City 41-36 in the game and went 1-for-3 on the power play. The Barons were 1-for-2 with the man-advantage.
Texas is now off for three days during the AHL's holiday break. The Stars will return to action on Wednesday, December 26th as they travel to Houston for a 7:05 p.m. faceoff with the Aeros at Toyota Center. Texas' next home game is scheduled for Thursday, December 27th against Oklahoma City at 7:30 p.m. at Cedar Park Center. Thursday's game is an H-E-B Night, a $3 Beer Night and features a post-game open ice session. Pro-rated full and partial 2012-13 season seat packages are on sale now. For more information on Texas Stars season tickets call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit www.TexasStarsHockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 22, 2012
- Rockford Defeat Heat 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Mount 3-2 Comeback Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Etem Plays the Hero as Admirals Vanquish Devils - Norfolk Admirals
- Sound Tigers fall to Phantoms - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lashoff Lifts Griffins to O.T. Win over Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Take Three-Game Win Streak into Holiday Break - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Fall to Penguins 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Win Saturday Night Special - Manchester Monarchs
- John Hynes Becomes Penguins' All-Time Wins Leader - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Enter Holiday Break with Win over Crunch - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Grind out 3rd Straight Win - Adirondack Phantoms
- Rampage Charge by Bulldogs 5-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Barons Exact Revenge on Stars 6-2 - Texas Stars
- Providence wins over Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Mcelhinney Sets Franchise Record With Sixth Shutout - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Rebound against Amerks, 5-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Monsters Beat Houston Aeros 5-2 - Houston Aeros
- Bears Blanked by Falcons - Hershey Bears
- Wolves' Win Streak Ends in OT to Grand Rapids - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Head into Holiday Break with 5-1 Loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Bruins Defeat Whale 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Marlies Drop IceCaps for Eighth Win in Ten Games - Toronto Marlies
- IceCaps Can't Catch Marlies - St. John's IceCaps
- Hogs Host Heat for First Meeting this Season - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Slip by IceHogs 2-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Forward Darren Kramer Reassigned to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Hershey, Game #27 - Springfield Falcons
- Houston Aeros Recall Caron and Petersen from Orlando - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Stars Stories
- Dallas Stars Reduce Training Camp Roster, Assign Players to Texas
- Dallas Stars Set for Training Camp Tomorrow in Boise, ID
- Brian Tosti New Broadcast Voice, Brien Rea Joins NHL's Dallas Stars
- Stars Single-Game Tickets on Sale Now for 10th Anniversary Season
- Stars Sign Colton Hargrove to AHL Contract