Sound Tigers fall to Phantoms
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers rallied for two quick goals late in the third period, but could not find the equalizer as the Adirondack Phantoms held on for a 3-2 win Saturday night at Webster Bank Arena.
The home team doubled Adirondack in shots, 36-18, but saw its five-game point streak come to a close, falling to 13-12-1-2 this season. Phantoms forward Sean Couturier had a hand in all three Adirondack goals, posting one goal and two assists, as his club improved to 13-14-1-0.
"You could tell that once we got that first goal, the energy changed and the momentum changed," Sound Tigers Head Coach Scott Pellerin said. "We played with more urgency, getting pucks to the net and we just missed a couple of chances at the end to tie the game."
Down 3-0 in the waning minutes of regulation, the Sound Tigers finally broke through against goaltender Scott Munroe with 6:21 remaining, as Jack Combs connected on a back-door feed from Chad Costello. The linemates, each making their Sound Tigers debuts, were leading the ECHL in scoring on the Colorado Eagles before signing professional tryout contracts with Bridgeport on Dec. 18.
Johan Sundstrom brought the Sound Tigers within a goal just 27 seconds after Combs' strike, sending a quick shot past Munroe's glove on a 3-on-2 rush to make it a one-goal game. The Sound Tigers peppered Munroe for the final minutes of the third period, but could not complete the comeback.
Sean Couturier scored the game's first goal on an unfortunate bounce at 14:10 of the opening period. As time was expiring on a Sound Tigers power play, the penalty killing Couturier skated in on a breakaway against goalie Anders Nilsson, but back-checker Brandon DeFazio made a diving play to sweep the puck to the corner. In a last-ditch effort, Couturier spun a shot to the front of the net, where it caromed in off a Sound Tiger.
Couturier earned the primary assist on the Phantoms next two goals. His shot from the right point was deflected in by Matthew Ford to give Adirondack a 2-0 lead at 7:49 of the second period. The Phantoms made it 3-0 in the first minute of the third period, as Couturier's wrap-around attempt rebounded to Eric Wellwood on the back door.
The biggest of Munroe's 34 saves came during a flurry in the opening minutes of third period. The goaltender denied Jordan Hill's open look with a full-extension toe save, and minutes later, denied Nino Niederreiter from the edge of the paint. Nilsson made 15 saves in the losing effort for Bridgeport.
The Sound Tigers return to action Wednesday, Dec. 26 at 7 p.m. when they host the Connecticut Whale at Webster Bank Arena.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 22, 2012
- Rockford Defeat Heat 3-2 - Abbotsford Heat
- Hogs Mount 3-2 Comeback Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Etem Plays the Hero as Admirals Vanquish Devils - Norfolk Admirals
- Sound Tigers fall to Phantoms - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Lashoff Lifts Griffins to O.T. Win over Chicago - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Take Three-Game Win Streak into Holiday Break - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Fall to Penguins 3-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- Monarchs Win Saturday Night Special - Manchester Monarchs
- John Hynes Becomes Penguins' All-Time Wins Leader - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Penguins Enter Holiday Break with Win over Crunch - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Phantoms Grind out 3rd Straight Win - Adirondack Phantoms
- Rampage Charge by Bulldogs 5-2 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Barons Exact Revenge on Stars 6-2 - Texas Stars
- Providence wins over Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Mcelhinney Sets Franchise Record With Sixth Shutout - Springfield Falcons
- B-Sens Rebound against Amerks, 5-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Monsters Beat Houston Aeros 5-2 - Houston Aeros
- Bears Blanked by Falcons - Hershey Bears
- Wolves' Win Streak Ends in OT to Grand Rapids - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks Head into Holiday Break with 5-1 Loss to B-Sens - Rochester Americans
- Bruins Defeat Whale 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Marlies Drop IceCaps for Eighth Win in Ten Games - Toronto Marlies
- IceCaps Can't Catch Marlies - St. John's IceCaps
- Hogs Host Heat for First Meeting this Season - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Slip by IceHogs 2-1 - Rockford IceHogs
- Forward Darren Kramer Reassigned to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield At Hershey, Game #27 - Springfield Falcons
- Houston Aeros Recall Caron and Petersen from Orlando - Houston Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- Dal Colle scores two more and Bridgeport ties a franchise record by extending its points streak at home to 13 games
- Dal Colle completes first professional hat trick with game-winner in overtime
- Sound Tigers Battle a Trio of Division Rivals this Weekend
- Gillam Returned on Loan to Worcester (ECHL)
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 10